Monday, January 31, 2011

Monday

Got the last two travel books in the mail today.  I remain impressed with how quickly the Amazon book sellers get the goods to the buyers.  I've even begun to read the books a little to get a handle on the territory where we are headed.  I' m using Mother's magnifying glass to read the small print on the maps and tables.  Either my eyes are getting worse, or the font used in these books is beyond small.

This winter storm that they have forecasted for the next couple of days remains the talk of the town.  Flurries this afternoon, and a little freezing rain tonight.  I remain a skeptic on the 8-12" that they have touted by Wednesday night.  That's the same forecast that they've given to KC and C-town! 

I just caught the end of the UConn-Duke women's game (the #'s 2 and 3 teams in the latest polls), and UConn wins by 30!!  Duke had been previously undefeated.  No wonder there's a credibility problem in women's b-ball!

I was at the women's game because I refuse to watch Two and A Half Men.  Is there any difference between the show's lead character and the idiot who plays the role?  Good 'ol Charlie gets a pass because he's entered treatment.  He's just a troubled soul, and he needs our compassion.  Hmmmm.  I wonder what they'd say if he supported a Tea Party candidate?  (That was a rhetorical question!)

Not sure what to make of the unrest in Egypt, and the impact on the global economy.  The US markets sold off on Friday, but then did a shrug today and crawled upward.  US companies have shown decent earnings, there's lots of cash on the balance sheets, and the commercial real estate refinancing problems don't seem quite as desperate as a year ago.  All this while unemployment remains high, new housing is nominal, and the Federal deficit remains a dark cloud over the future.  My advice: buy large caps paying a decent dividend on the next pull-back.

OK, I missed the SOTU speech, but what brilliant minds let "Win The Future" get through the vetting process?  I mean, WTF?  They can't be that naive in the West Wing, can they?  Anyone?  Gibbs?  Bueller?

The oh-dark-hundred spin-Nazi was a sub this morning.  The regular gal, who whipped my a-- yesterday morning, did a call-in-sick routine for today.  This girl, a regular leader for other classes held at the club during the day, was a drill sergeant wannabe and was way over the top for that early class.  I mean, people who show up at 0530 are already motivated.

Then there's my fav instructor, Kandi, who spied me going through the line at the HyVee Chinese kitchen Saturday or Sunday and made a big deal to come over and check out what I was ordering.  Taking the Over that she will use it against me at the Friday class.

Tomorrow brings us February.  Glad to be done with January.  Winter. 

Bundle up.  And...

BCOT

1 comment:

2 said...

I start the rest of my life tomorrow! Already jump started it tonight. I'm going to Win the Future!