Sunday, January 30, 2011

Sunday

I'd like to say that I have spent the last few days contemplating some new idea for the blog.  But mostly, I've been trying to keep my eye on that spot ten feet ahead of my front wheel and to keep pounding the pedals.  Lots of things going on at the office, a couple of big items that have been distractions.  This week will be better.

Morning spin today was a "kick-my-a--" experience.  Not sure why.  Same instructor.  Not a lot of difference in the routines.  But I must have given some extra effort, because I was so beat-up afterwards, that I had to just sit for several minutes to catch my breath.  And I couldn't stop sweating.  Hmmmm.  Full recovery later, but I never made it over to pick up The Winniferous for a tentatively scheduled run this afternoon.

2 has her official Masters Of Business Administration diploma from the University of Iowa.  I think that it was in the mail before she turned in her final paper early last week, and certainly before she made final payment of her last tuition bill.  Whatever. Congratulations, Kiddo.  Now, work on that resume! 

(2 reports that completion of the MBA was recognized at work; department head title, I think.  Public announcement this week.  News will follow here soon.)

And 4 has jumped into the Apple business. http://www.thehoranies.com/  Here's hoping we now have some regular reports from Cornhusker Country.

The route for RAGBRAI 2011 was announced this weekend. http://www.desmoinesregister.com/article/20110130/NEWS/101300344/RAGBRAI-riders-will-swarm-through-Iowa-s-middle  The big news on this side of the state is that the ride will end in Davenport.  There's always been a debate among the players as to whether it was a good move to end here because that Saturday is always the Bix 7 running event which usually attracts around 15,000 runners.  But the Davenport Convention and Services Bureau actively lobbied to get the bikers this year.  I'm a skeptic.

I've always felt that the last day of RAGBRAI was a non-event.  People who have been riding all week are ready to be done and just want to go home to a hot shower and their own bed.  There's not a lot of hanging out after they've reached the Mississippi River.  Traffic and congestion?  Yes.  Lots of spending going on?  I don't think so.  The best party is always on Friday night.  I'll be curious how they try to get the ride into town, and then provide parking and exit for the diverse caravan that follows the bikes across the state.  Taking the Over that it will all be underwhelming.

Lots of national attention on the Iowa football program over the last week.  13 players were hospitalized early in the week for a muscle disorder that beset the players after a super-strenuous workout.  They say drugs were not involved, but I'm guessing that some energy supplement will eventually be identified.  The blogs want somebody hung out to dry.  Coach Ferentz has had to deal with several unfavorable things over the last 90 days.  Drugs.  Suspensions.  Transfers.  Now this.  An interesting debate on where the coach is or becomes accountable.

And the Iowa and Iowa State men can't beat anybody in conference.  At least the 'Clones are competitive.

They're talking about another snow storm here Tuesday and Wednesday.  This has been Winter this year.  With no sun.  I could use some sun. 

Spin in the early AM.  So I'm headed to the rack.

BCOT

1 comment:

1 said...

I'm sorry...wasn't it just a few weeks ago when you were in The Valley of the SUN? Save the whining for those of us who have been under two feet or more of snow for the last three months with no end or vacation in sight....