Sunday, December 13, 2009

Sunday

Calm before the storm. Weather headed back into the deep freeze in the next couple of days.

High praise to the extended family for the picture Christmas cards that I have received in the last few days. In particular, the KC full-family pic is a keeper. Newsflash in response; no such USPC seasonal greetings scheduled from LtPC.

If a running back deserved the Heisman, the guy from Stanford shoulda got it. Maybe if ND had been something more than a laughing stock when he had the big game against them a couple of writers would have re-directed their votes. (We let sports writers determine the best college football player? And these are the guys that know how to fix the BCS?)

How cool is it that the TV channels (all of them, really) set up showings of the NFL games in the war zones for the deployed GI's? They keep giving some live look-ins from Iraq of some Minnesota National Guard troops right now watching the Vikings-Bengals game. Similar to the effort that I noted here last Summer of David Feherty on the PGA tour. Hat tip to all.

My RCL left me a Christmas gift last week (as it was her last time here until mid-January). She's headed back to Milan, Italy to visit family. I told her that I wanted her to take the extra $20 I left for her to enjoy an extra bottle of vino while there. OK, a bottle. I didn't say how expensive of a bottle! Anyway, her gift to me was a box of four Pinot Noir glasses. Like the one here to the left. I think she's smart enough to know the other glasses that I have and wanted to expand/diversify my inventory.

My best wine glasses are Cabernet glasses like the one here to the right. Which makes sense as I current favorite wine is the Cabernet. But when home, I usually drink out of some very blue-collar, heavy-duty, stemless highball glasses.

I make this somewhat elongated description to give the necessary background to a contention by the owner of The Grape Life that the tastes of the different varieties of wine are best delivered if consumed out of the proper glasses. I'm a doubter, but I think I'll conduct some detailed experiments over the next year or so. I've got the glasses.

The same wine (semi) expert used an aerator to pour from a freshly uncorked bottle when I was in the shop last week. A new experience for me. The concept is to simulate decanting, to allow the wine to "breathe" before drinking. (We decant at Biaggi's if it's one of those nights where there are lots of people and multiple bottles of wine.) I might be a believer in this one, but more research is required. (I might be able to double-up on the glasses experiment noted above.)

Augie got throttled last night down at Wash U in StL. They're rated #1 in DIII (and are the two-time defender National champs). With Gonzaga and WashU now behind us, we'll see if this young team can find some traction against less-august competition.

I did talk with the Commissioner last week and the 2010 Clan Bash is set for the weekend of July 9-11. No formal proceedings are scheduled at this point, and no hall rental is anticipated. The Commish's house will be Reunion HQ. Details will emerge. LtPC and family will likely target dates in the 8th - 18th to capture two weekends.

So I'm out to get a couple of things done. Hope everyone has a good week.

BCOT

No comments: