Sunday, December 06, 2009

Sunday

Winnie and I did three miles yesterday. After she took a hunk out of my wrist while putting on her harness. This is a pic off of my phone which I sent over to my Yahoo email. Wirelessly. With both the phone and laptop on just battery power. Amazing.

Spin in a while and then finally getting my carpet shampooed after the plant-dumping accident from the FFF event last week. Maybe even throwing up a couple of strands of Christmas lights later. (Or not.) And firing up the snowblower for possible use later this week. A busy day.

Another race angle in the Tiger saga that never occurred to me was a concern expressed in a story today that his flings all involved white women. There are now rules for politically correctness in extra-curricular activities?

The local fishwrap (like all papers, I suppose) is about triple the size of ordinary times with all the ads included for the holiday shoppers. It has to help the papers' economics since there's no real increase in news content, just volume from the inserts. Their real prize is when they charged the $2 Sunday price for the Thanksgiving paper which had nothing but ads in between about three news stories of turkey receipes. You gotta make hay while the sun shines.

Speaking of economics. At the wine shop that we visited last night (The Grape Life), we bought a bottle and drank it there. It's one of those places that is set up to buy and go, or to taste and drink there. You could bring in your own sandwiches for lunch or dinner too. Kind of low-end wines. None that I saw for as much as $30.

So anyway, we buy one of their more expensive Cabernets for $27. With a $7 corking fee. The staff pours the wine. OK. So when we settle up to leave, I pay with a couple of twenties and tell the gal(who I know is the owner) to keep the change. Did the owner just triple dip? Profit in the wine purchase. Corking fee. Tip. It's a little like tipping the owner of a hair salon. What's the proper protocol? Miss Manners, where are you?

More later.

BCOT

No comments: