Thursday, March 08, 2007

Thursday

The Madness has begun. There have already been a few upsets in the conference tournaments. The expansion of the power conferences has made Wednesday and Thursday busy game days for the conference tournaments. If you aren't in the top four seeds, you need to win four games in four days to get the trophy. Not many teams can do that.

Interesting that the Big 10 has elected to give Indianapolis a five year contract to host the tournament beginning next year. It has previously rotated between Indy and Chicago. The United Center is located in a fairly tough section of town. You really can't walk to the stadium. In Indy, I think they have the restaurants and hotels right there and you have a true tournament atmosphere. I remember how nice it was in KC when they had the Big 8 tournament there. With the expansion to the Big 12, Dallas and Oklahoma City get in the rotation to host and that just gets too far for me.

The Coaches Clinic last night was just more of the same. The instructor came to my seat before the class started and asked me to not read the paper during the session. I think he's worried that I might actually want the certification even though I have told him that I am just "auditing" the class. Can you "audit" a class even though you have paid the fee? Have you ever heard of someone auditing a community adult education class? I don't think I fall into any category of traditional students.

If anyone cares, the Assumption girls lost in the state semifinals today to the defending state champs. Close game. Assumption has no seniors so they should be back there next year.

My pal Pete says that the PV administrative officials made no friends with their tight controls in the gym after the the sub-state game last night between Bettendorf and Davenport Central, which Bettendorf won. They wouldn't allow the students on to the floor to celebrate, and they raised the baskets right after the buzzer sounded which precluded the team from cutting down the nets. I guess they eventually convinced the AD to lower one of the baskets.

But there are colleges around the country who have also taken significant measures to control the crowds. I think that it is a combination of safety fears, for both the players and the fans. Not to mention the possible law suits.

3 and 4 go on Spring Break tomorrow. 3 on a cruise with friends. 4 has plans to work a couple of extra days in IC (Europe is not cheap) and then join with 2 to go up and visit 1 in the TC. I wish I could go on Spring Break.

The NASCAR boys are in Vegas this weekend. I would be curious of the general feeling about town this weekend compared to last month when the hoodlums from the NBA were in for the All Star game.

Sorry for the lack of creativity. It has been a tough week.

Have a great evening.

Be careful out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On NASCAR weekend: The locals by now know to avoid that part of town like the plague....absolutely the worst traffic mess ever. We're hoping they're all out of town by Monday afternoon when we meet the Weiss family at the airport.

Temperatures in the 80s!

http://www.lasvegassun.com/sunbin/stories/births/2007/mar/09/566653620.html