Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Wednesday

I am particularly pleased to see 4 back with her own commentary. She has a lot more interesting things to say than yours truely. But, who is Manny?

3 reported on a Hoopdrm oil change a little earlier today. (I made a lay-up bet that Quick-Lube would want to do additional service to the car...and they did try to sell 3 on a couple of different flush jobs. Like, what a surprise!) I had reacted a bit owlly as 3 and 4 pulled out of Dodge Monday having noticed that the oil had not been changed in the Focus since early in the Summer. I also made a bit of a production to do a quick wash job on the car since it was in substantial need of one. Females generally don't care too much about cars other than that they look good and run. Guys wash them at every opportunity and tweak the appearance whenever possible. Mars and Venus.

I managed to resist watching the new CBS Katie. I was shocked to learn that Tom Cruise and family were part of the news last night. And from a man's perspective, I much prefer her digitally re-touched figure. Of course, I would make a little more use of the air brush, or just digitally enhance her completely away.

78 days to the Turkey Trot. Matt is welcome, of course, but like I said earlier, my goal is to break an hour. You guys may all be at coffee by the time I get done.

Thanksgiving is about as early as it can be this year, the 23rd. The good thing is that that means there is more time between then and Christmas which helps at work. The bad thing is that that means there is more time for the Christmas shopping season. I mean, isn't Christmas Eve still on Christmas Eve? I don't see my shopping season changing.

Any report from IC on the remodeled Kinnick Stadium? The Register listed all the heavy-hitters who bought luxury boxes in the new place. And there were some do-gooders trying to get the U to ban alcohol use in those boxes. Right. That'll happen.

ISU has some remodel going on their stadium too. That place has always been the Coldest Place in the World on late November Saturdays.

So I'm outta here to do my run. Have a great night.

Be careful out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Manny is a character from the brief reading I gave on Monday from a story about a Super Jams basketball tournament that I wrote way back when I was a kid. The story never went anywhere. Something terrible was happening on the beach, but probably I hadn't decided what yet and quit. Besides, naming your characters is the best part of writing a story.

Kinnick is very nice. The student section is a corner section, and I prefer to sit on the endzone side. The only problem I have with the location of our section, is that the huge scoreboard is directly behind us.

This year, students receive their tickets online and have to print them. Then, the ticket is scanned at the gate where students are also required to show a university ID. Sometimes it is necessary to show your ID again to get into different sections of the stands. There were some issues with scanners and the process took much longer than ripping off a ticket stub. We waited a considerable amount of time longer than we would last year, despite arriving 45 minutes early, and arrived at our seats only 5 minutes before kick off. This wasn't so bad as we were able to find seats we were happy with and didn't have to wait in cramped quarters that long (one of the PV felons was three rows in front of me). Still, there were a lot of people waiting outside the stadium, and I heard that before kickoff they temporarily stopped checking IDs. It will be interesting to see changes made for the next home game - against Iowa State. The DI reports that students will be allowed entrance at any gate, not just the usual 2. It's understandable to want to keep up-to-date with the latest technology becase it's convenient and has potential to make the process of taking one's ticket faster, but they definitely have some kinks to work out.


There was actually a spread in the opinion section of the DI today about the sale of alcohol in the luxury boxes. Consensus was that it isn't fair to the other patrons, but in reality, most of them probably aren't of the legal drinking age, at least, the students who contributed to the spread aren't. If I'm paying the big bucks for one of the boxes, I'd expect to be served alcohol, too.

K, TTYL