Thursday, September 14, 2006

Thursday

Beautiful day today. A top 10 day, weather-wise. I need to get home and either mow my yard or do my run. There's not enough time to do both, unless I run in the dark. Which I will have to do anyway in the not so distant future.

Did Golick's Meat Market for lunch. 2 low-cal brats with sauerkraut and mustard.

Big day of production needed for tomorrow. Several key returns have to be filed as the 15th is the drop-dead date for 2005 calendar year-end corporations. Why we are filing on the last day is a testimony of our firm's timeliness and efficiency.

My time on my run last night was a little slower than I expected for not having run in a couple of days. I felt pretty good both while running and afterwards. And not so bad today. What does that mean?

College football for the weekend starts tonight. And I think we have a local HS game as well. Pretty soon, they'll have games every night. Actually, when you think of it, come bowl season, they do have games any night of the week and usually schedule things so that there are no more than a couple of games per night so as to get maximum per-game viewership.

2 is in Florida. Hope she has a good time and that the weather cooperates. Give us a "hey" when you have the chance.

Uncle Phil is visiting friends in North Carolina for a few days. He said that he plans to visit the Duke and UNC campuses as they are staying in the Durham area. I have never been there.

Here's another slice of the drama of a sports reporter. Some young stud (whom I had never heard of before the last few weeks) for the Philadelphia Phillies is approaching 60 home runs. Dan Patrick reports on the radio today (listening in on my way back from Golick's) that a CBS.com hack has raised the steroid question, and a Philly fishwrap columnist has turned around and skewered the .com guy for unsubstantiated insinuations. Dan Patrick is somehow lamenting that a sports writer is in a no-win situation: if he raises the question, he's scorned as a mudraker (well, aren't they?); and if he doesn't raise the question, he's not doing his job (say what?).

I have not hidden on this blog my disdain for most sports reporters ( Oh, let's not leave any doubt. All sports reporters). And DP (as he is known among his brothern) used to be a decent sports reporter. Now he has to be part of he story. Or, as in this case, he can make up a new angle on a story (actually a non-story here) and stir the pot to his liking. Exactly why are we supposed to have empathy for these guys?

I need to hit the road. Thanks for reading. And for the record, my sign-off is not original. It dates back to the TV show, Hill Street Blues. The intro each week was usually in the squad briefing room with the senior sergeant giving out the orders of the day to the assemblied officers. And he always ended his remarks with that cautionary phrase...

Be careful out there.

No comments: