Sunday, September 17, 2006

Sunday

Rainy day here. With 2 not in town I'm taking a pass on church. Its the polka Mass and picnic today so I don't feel like I'm missing a lot.

For Clone and Irish fans, tough day Saturday. At least the Clones were in it till the end. The ESPN crew could not talk enough about Iowa and cornfields. The cliche lives.

I have been dealing with some sinus issues the last couple of days. I don't know if its an allergy thing or what. Very little clear flow of air through the nose. I woke up this AM with a bad case of cotton-mouth from breathing through my mouth. I did take a couple of benadryl-like pills last night and that tends to dry things up too. Anyway, I deal with some of the same issues that 2 and 3 have. I know that its not cats for me, but there is some allergen out there that has my number.

One of the guys in the group for Friday after-work cocktails came in on crutches. He's a guy a couple years younger than me who had been on a hiking trip in northeastern Italy last month and had taken a hard fall on a mountain in the Dolomites. I guess it was on just the second day of a scheduled 10 day trip so the whole deal was turned upside down. He was treated there, but had a surgery here that included a metal plate and several screws. What a pain. When those kind of things happen on a trip, to a foreign country to boot, your trip becomes nothing more than an effort of disaster recovery.

I hope to have a more productive day today than yesterday. For whatever reason, I woke up at 2AM Saturday morning and never went back to sleep. So I was tired all day yesterday. Part of it was the post-filing date stress factor. My mind had been so keyed-up last week that I never relaxed. And come Friday night, even though the deadline had passed, my mind did not shut down. But I got good rest last night so I'm at least not a walking zombie today. When you don't get your sleep, life is a beach.

4 has run into a limitation on a trip that she was going to join-up with 3 on for Spring break. I guess the cruise lines have a policy that anyone under age 21 must be accompanied by an adult. Can't say that I have ever heard of that one, but it is not all that surprising. I'm sure that the lawyers have figured out that the liability equation with young party-goers is not in favor of the ships, regardless of the possible lost revenue.

Why is it equation and not equasion?

Speaking of Spring break, there was a report in the papers this week of the promoters of the "Girls Gone Wild" videos settling up in court for a few million or so for including under-age girls in their tapes. I'm in shock.

So I may check back in later today.

Be careful out there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the height of the ragweed season for allergies.

Don't like hearing about people who have accidents on their trips abroad. I leave Saturday for a week in Italy with Julie. Doyle is going rafting down the Colorado River

Anonymous said...

Katie,

Interesting article in Monday's USAToday

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/life/20060918/d_cover18.art.htm