Monday, September 11, 2006

Monday

Another one of those, "What happened to today?" kind of day.

An oh dark hundred start for me in the AM. Another guy will be going with me for an 8AM meeting on the west side of DM.

Most of the lead stories in the paper today were 9-11 things. And pro football. The 9-11 stuff makes me a little melancholy. And I don't have that much interest in pro football.

My new car came equiped with XM radio. The prior owner obviously had had it activated. Interestingly, the paperwork on the sale caught up with XM pretty fast because the only channel now active is the one where they try to sell you the service. It's a $10 activation fee and about $12 a month. I can see if you were on the road a lot where satellite radio would be an attrative option to keep a signal. And to avoid commercials. But I don't think I'll be in the car that much to warrent the expense.

My buddy Bill has satellite radio in their new home and he says that he has it on all the time. I guess with new homes becoming more and more high tech, these kind of services become standard as opposed to upgrades. I don't know. Seems to me that these things are nice, but a little thing here and a little thing there and pretty soon you're talking about a lot of little things. My budget doesn't have that kind of cushion in it. Understand that you are reading the thoughts of a hermit who re-uses paper plates.

Aunt Martha says that you can load your SB's card online and get monetary bonuses and maybe even movie tickets. Is that the same as getting a $5 Coffee on Dad card?

My buddy Roy is taking three of his friends to a Jimmy Buffet concert in Detroit tomorrow night. He had been the winning bid on the tickets at a charity auction a couple of weeks ago. He lives a different life.

So I'm off to my Monday Night in Ordinary Time.

Be careful out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i just had my first open house, and it went pretty well. if only the students were as respectful as their parents! i'm very tired and battling a cold, so i won't write much, but i had to comment on the starbucks card item. we have caribou coffee here, and it is very competitive with starbucks. it is a local owner, i think? they have nearly as many locations as starbucks. anyway....i usually go to starbucks because i prefer their brews. i got a caribou card from a client of mine, so i went there one day and saw a sign. register your coffee card and for every ten visits they credit your card $4. to me that's like buy five cups of coffee, get one free. needless to say, i've been going to caribou more often just to get the free money. as soon as the promotion is over, i will be back at starbucks, but obviously the marketing worked on me! and you can put money on your card and check your balance and such online as well.
i did get a coffee on dad today, and it was much needed. it was a rough one today.
aunt martha, i finally got the items you gave to dad it tahoe. you'll be getting a thoughtful thank you soon, but i wanted you to know that i JUST NOW got them!