Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wednesday

Finally drying out a bit here.

Word on the laptop now is "mother-board shot".  The question will be whether the warranty goes out the 30 months since acquisition.  I'm not willing to take the over on this one.  What will Dell have to say?

The Celtics sure mailed it in last night.  How does a team on the precipice of greatness fail to show?  Fortunately, my walk with The Winniferous and her transport back to 2's kept me away from the tube for most of the first half, and I just checked in for the final score before hitting the sack.

I'm putting 3 up as Daughter of the Day for no particular reason other than she continues to work hard at finding that next step in her career.  Its never easy when you are operating within a process where you have no leverage and the powers-that-be hold all the cards.  But the good thing is that 3 has the talent, determination and personality to win out in the end.  You just have to keep pitching, Kiddo.  You will succeed.

I finally got back on the bike this AM for my first post-TOMRV ride.  My pal Pete was on the road for work so I had no drafting assistance.  16 miles by 0645.  I took a pass on the last couple of hills that makes the normal ride 19 miles. Maybe tomorrow.

I don't think that I mentioned here the excitement we had on Saturday crossing the Mississippi River at Sabula.  That bridge has always been a little interesting because its one of those old ones with the grated-metal decking that you can look through to the river below.  And the side rail only goes up to about mid-thigh level.  Anyone with a fear of heights can easily get a panic attack for sure.  And that's in clear weather.

Saturday was rainy and damp.  I was leading our four-rider pace line on the ramp up to the bridge, so I was the first one to encounter the metal decking...with almost immediate near-catastrophic results.  It was like the NASCAR announcer describing a car in trouble..."Man, he came outta Turn 4 and he was sideways.  What a save!"  Well, I was sideways once, then twice, and quickly decided that walking across Ol' Muddy was a fine decision.  And we did.  (Except for Ron who thought he was a better man for staying on his bike.  He did admit over beers in Galena that he was an idiot for that choice!)

And a tip of the hat to Tom Izzo for electing to stay at Michigan State as their basketball coach.  He's top-drawer stuff, and to have lost him to the pit of the NBA would have been a true loss for college basketball.  And the Big 10.  Or is the Big 10 now the Big 12?

Have a great evening.

BCOT

No comments: