Monday, June 14, 2010

Monday

This will have to be a short entry as I won't have my laptop tonight at home.  The laptop locked-up on me last night as I tried to open Windows for an add-on report for TOMRV.  The IT guy was in this morning and was not able to solve the problem.  His report this afternoon was that I apparently sucked-in a start-up virus that will necessate a scrubbing of the hard drive.  Really odd.  I wasn't even on the Internet when the problem surfaced.  Let's hear it for sleeper cells.

Not much damage to the bod from the Saturday ride.  At 56 miles, the ride was just 10 miles longer than the normal Sunday run to DeWitt.  The post-ride cocktails did go on for a while, which is why you do TOMRV anyway!  My pal Lee enjoyed the adventure and he's even making noise about doing both days next year.  I'll try to calm those instincts about the second leg.

I've been able to keep a lid on the excitement from the World Cup.  Actually, there's a part of me that wonders if a World Cup played in South Africa might not be like the hypthetical visits to the moon by our astronauts.  I mean, those games, are they real or are they on Memorex?

The most difficult thing to watch on the tube yesterday was the PGA golfer looking to win his first tournament blow his three-shot lead on the last hole.  If you had given him a seven-iron and a putter as his only clubs, he could have pretty easily scored a five on the hole.  It's a par 4, 450 yard hole.  These guys hit a seven around 200 yards.  Do the math.  Instead, he hits some "safe" utility club off the tee into the hazard.  Takes a drop.  Now hitting three.  Chunks that one with an eight iron into the trees.  Four back out to the fairway, still 160 yards to the green.  Five to the green with 14 feet to then save double-bogey!  Misses the putt and makes seven!  Ugh! 

He then has to go to a play-off with two other guys, and they have to play the same hole.  Again. He lets it rip off the tee, and lands directly behind a tree, makes bogey, and is cooked.  What an awful thirty minutes of his life.  (Well, he did make $400k for third place.  But that was a little less than the $1,050,000 that the winner took home.)  Golf is a cruel game.  Even for the pro's.

Hope everyone enjoys Monday night.

BCOT

1 comment:

Mary said...

i feel for that guy, too. sounds like every hole of my high school golf career.