Sunday, June 20, 2010

Sunday

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.

Our visitors from the TC have come and gone.  Great to see 1.01 (and her parents, of course!).  She's become quite the little lady.  Here's a couple of pics from the weekend.

My personal weekend has been low-lighted by water in my basement.  The power-outage during the Friday night storms meant that my sump pump had no means of support.  And that sucker (literally) runs a lot when we get siginificant rains.  So when I  went downstairs for my morning shower on Saturday morning, that squishing sound around my feet was a harbinger of the rest of my day.

We got a gas generator going over at SRH's by 9 AM or so, and ran it there for an hour to get the worst of her sump pump back-load pumped out.  (She had no water in her basement.)  I then took the generator over to my place and once going, my pump went continuously for about 15 minutes.  And it continued to pump most of the morning.

After the power came on around 11 AM, I began moving things around and trying to get a handle on how much water had seeped in.  Ultimately, it became clear that the Pete's shop vac was not going to be an adequate solution, and we ripped out a room-sized section, and then shop-vac-ed the water that remained.  I thought that might be enough, but earlier today, the smell suggested that I needed to do more work.  So I ripped out another section that was equally wet.

Ultimately, the rest of the carpet in the basement and on the steps will all have to go.  But I'm going to wait until things have fully dried out.  I'm thinking indoor-outdoor stuff.  And a battery back-up for the sump pump.

My laptop is still MIA.  The IT folks had better have a positive update tomorrow.  It hurts my blog time.

Watching the US Open golf on the tube as I make this entry.  El Tigre is playing like he's heard from some of his old girlfriends.  The guy who had the lead at the start of the day went off the grid (the wrong way!).

The new home page picture was the cloud formation in Bettendorf on Friday night before the monsoons came down.  Huge thunderheads that the photo really doesn't capture.

Busy week ahead here.  Hope everyone has a good one.

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great Pictures...

Tahoe Phil