Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Wednesday

These short weeks always challenge my internal gyroscope for sensing the correct day.  Yesterday was "Monday" all day, and I'm working hard to catch up this morning that we are now at Wednesday.  Since I have a golf commitment in Muskie this afternoon, you'd think that day-registering wouldn't be that hard of a concept.  (There was a time years ago when I actually resorted to writing the day on a white-board in my office to get the synapses connected.)

It looks like June will now just flash through the calendar.  The weekends look full: the golf outing in Muskie through Saturday (and a wedding that afternoon), TOMRV on the 12th, the TC crew here on the 19th, and CWS on the 26th. There's the small matter of work in between times.  Then we have the 4th of July holiday weekend...and then it's Tahoe.  There will be little time to watch the grass grow.

I picked up the Buick on Saturday after it having sat at the dealership for 9 days.  The service guy had not called me for over a week after they had to tow it with the two flat tires that morning when I needed to be in DM.  They replaced all of the valve stems (which the tech noted on the repair order that all the old ones were leaking), and had not noticed any deflation while the car sat in their lot.  Of course, I had a near-flat last night and had to air-up the left front.  If there's not a nail in that tire, uh, Houston, we do have a problem.  Wow.

Hard for me to generate much enthusiasm for the NBA finals that start this week.  I guess that it is an "official" finals since the Lakers and the Celtics are the two teams, but neither squad will likely draw siginificant support from their non-core fans.  Kobe is about as anti-hero as an anti-hero can be, LA is LA, and the Celtics' hardly resemble their classic teams from the past (other than three of their key players are old).  And the series being played in the middle of baseball, golf and NASCAR seems out of season.  (Baseball playing The World Series in basketball season is a similar disconnect.)

I have been impressed with the results of an on-line employment service that I have recently used to fill a position in my office.  Traditionally, we have placed newspaper ads for this type of hiring, with a relatively small ad running for 3-4 days including a Sunday.  It was never cheap.  We would usually get enough resumes, but it was definitely iffy. (new oxymoron, eh?)  The on-line deal produced over 50 resumes and was continuing to draw interest three weeks after the initial posting.

I suppose some of the print media will price an ad for both print and on-line presentations, but this on-line experience will keep me away from the newspaper in the future for such efforts.  The price is right ($300 for 30 days), the site attracts job-seekers, and the information received from applicants is immediately reviewable (and easily re-reviewed).  This is just another example of the slow death of the fish-wrap.

Hope everyone has a great Wednesday!

BCOT

No comments: