Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Wednesday

A little post now since I am headed over to Augie tonight with 2 to see the game with Illinois Wesleyan. The home team has had a tough year, and tonight's game will be no exception. There's no true "star" on the team and they have struggled with achieving an identity.

Regarding Uncle Phil's inquiry on my Big Monday prediction, "No", I bet only occasionally with friends, and rarely more than a five-spot. My pal Wally and I used to have three bets (at five-a-pop) each week during football season; we each picked a college football game and gave the other guy the team not picked. And then we would alternate the Monday Night pro game, again giving the other guy the team not picked. At the end of the year, we'd settle up, and rarely, if ever, did it get to $25 total owed either way.

Ash Wednesday. Is there anyone in the clan doing ashes? It used to be a big deal in our family. I can't remember the last time I went to an Ash Wednesday service.

.
4 asked me when I was in Lincoln over the weekend if I was "giving up" anything for Lent. And I had no response. I'm thinking that the deadline for making such a commitment was actually last night at midnight, but 1700 CDT today works given where we're at in time. (We can always extend the coverage period to the Monday after Easter for fulfilling the abstinence period.)

To assure compliance with a commitment, I think that I can give up white wine. No chardonnay or pinot grigio for LtPC for forty days.

Lindsey Vonn won an Olympic Gold Medal this afternoon. She has more events to do, but the SI jinx may not be working here. Good for her. I wonder what the economic benefit to her will be of her success? My guess is that we're talking millions.

CNBC is the channel I have tuned to in my office during the day (usually on mute because of the dribble). As an NBC family member, CNBC is home to the curling competition in Vancouver. So at 1600 local, rather than business news analysis, we get two hours of curling. Not saying that it isn't interesting to a point, but you really need to be in the mood to watch it for longer than say, a few minutes. It's the equivalent of saloon shuffle-board on ice.


My pal Doug in Des Moines offered up that Cairn terriers got their name from the task that they were bred to perform, that is, protecting cairns from rodents who would weaken the structures. I, of course, did not know what a cairn was, and had to be so informed. A cairn is a marker or monument (often a conical pile of stones) meant to signify a burial site, path or summit. So now you know too. Pictured too is the most famous of the clan's cairn's.

I still have trouble with Blogger on the spacing when I add pictures. The system wants to triple-space every paragraph each time I place a pic in the text. Very annoying.

All for today. Have a great evening.

BCOT

3 comments:

camperkev said...

the picture alignment issue along with the lack of a spell check function in the new blogger editor has knocked blogger down a notch for me.

4 said...

I have this theory that I'm probably really awesome at curling, just no one knows it because I've never tried it.

Maybe even the more extreme sports.

Because efforts in gymnastics, swimming, golf, tennis, volleyball, softball, soccer, rowing, bowling, basketball, track and cross country just weren't enough for my inner athlete to really reveal itself.

2 said...

What a good looking dog.