Saturday, February 20, 2010

Saturday

Today is the one year anniversary of my car accident last year. Lots of water under the bridge since that morning.

I've been a little surprised at the number of miles that I have put on the new Buick since replacing this one. I'm over 15K and it's been less than a year. And the Taurus eats up a lot of in-town miles. But when you add in two or three round trips to the TC and another couple to Lincoln (at 800 or so a pop), and the mileage adds up. Chicago, Stl and KC all were visited as well.

Today is also the anniversary of the writing contest that I entered last year (and finished third in my category). This year's contest was today as well, and I made an effort, but I have low expectations on this result. The prompt was difficult ("...and I was the one who never had a broken bone"), I was a little under-motivated, and I had to do the Word work all myself. But I did something, which was not the easy bailout move that I could have chosen.

Was there a firm choice last night on March Madness on the Twitter chatter? If 1 will come down to DM, I'm saying that that is the logical choice.

My comment on the Tiger Woods appearance is, "Uh, Tiger, you're not that interesting to me." Why would TMZ or any rag want to follow his kids to pre-school anyway? To see if Elin is wearing underwear? Let's move on, people. Tiger is a fallen idol. He doesn't deserve the air time. Stick with Paris or Brit.

I had originally planned to do a quick trip out to Scottsdale tomorrow with a return on Wednesday. A late Winter respite. But the moon and the stars have not lined-up well, and I'm forfeiting the non-refundable ticket to save the hotel, car and out-of-pocket funds (maybe for March Madness?). Snow is supposed to come in tomorrow anyway. I'll take advantage of these days to catch up at the office and get in plenty of spin classes.

I've had two minor bureaucratic victories in the last week or two with the parking police. I fought off a $20 expired plates citation in Muscatine by forwarding them a copy of the renewal form that said penalties don't apply until March 2nd (30 days after the expiration month). But the big victory came on a $100 handicapped zone violation in downtown Davenport. My argument there was the fact that the city had bagged all of the downtown meters, green ones where it was OK, red where not. With the snow piled up, the only handicapped sign (which I never saw) was at the 10 foot mark on a pole above the regular meter, which had a green bag on it. My eloquent appeal, with no anger or profanity, was approved. I mean get a blue bag if you want to play that game, for crying out loud. Life is good.

Here's a little shout out to 2 for recognition as Daughter of the Day. She's had a tough week on the job and deserves a little pat on the back. We had a nice meal and good wine at Geneva last night. You 'da girl, Kiddo.

This is enough for tonight. I may do an entry from SB's in the AM before 10 o'clock spin.

BCOT

No comments: