Monday, February 15, 2010

Monday

Here's a little recognition to the Four Heads for my salute to President's Day. With the markets and the banks closed today, the phones stay a little more quiet than a normal Monday.

Also did a trip over to Annawan, Illinois (40 minutes East of here) this morning for the funeral of my pal Cal's dad who passed away (of old age!) on Friday. His visitation yesterday drew several hundred, and it was a good-sized crowd at the church today. He must have been a good guy.
.
Going to visitations and funerals is a bit of Daddy's legacy. I'll always remember his frequent attendance at these events from my days on the farm. If there was a possibility that he knew the decedent, Daddy went to the rosary (for the Catholics) or the visitation (for everyone else). Not such a bad habit to inherit. Families remember who comes to Mom and Dad's funerals.
.
Is Daytona still going on? I mean how long does it take to patch a pothole? The best quip I heard from a driver in the first delay was, "Put an orange cone in front of it. We'll drive around it!" (I'm betting that in the early days of NASCAR that exactly what they did.) My picks were busts. The winner might have been a dark horse pick as he won the Summer race there last year. Whatever.
.
My return trip from Lincoln ultimately worked out OK, but it was pretty dicey winter driving conditions between Omaha and Des Moines. It was great to get the furniture transfer completed, and fun to be with 4 (especially the Macaroni Grille din-din), but it was also really good to be done with the driving. Winnie did fine except for a small accident at my pal Doug's house at lunch. She's now back in 2's responsibility zone. For a live-alone bachelor, dog-sitting works best in hours rather than days...:)
.
I also heard the weekly Top 40 Country Countdown at least three times on the trip. Kind of interesting how songs go up the charts, and then slide down the charts as the weeks go by. Like attendance at the movies. We humans are fickle sorts. We really like something. Until we get a little bored and something that we like better comes along. And the old gets kicked out the side door. Or at least gets relegated to good memories.
.
Big Monday. KU @ A&M. Trap game. KU giving 7. Take A&M. KU should win, but they definitely won't cover.
.
I'm sure that the peanut gallery can appreciate that I just couldn't pass up on this Hi & Lois cartoon board in today's comics. Actually, a little surprising entry for the comic pages that are generally leftward-leaning.

On that note, I'll sign off for the evening. Make it a good one in your world.

.

BCOT

2 comments:

2 said...

you're so funny.
:)

Anonymous said...

Good call on the spread. Did you back it with money?

Tahoe Phil