Saturday, February 27, 2010

Saturday

The technology police finally caught up with me on the Florida turnpike missed cash-box incident in January.  On my AmEx bill received this week, there was an $8.25 charge from something called, "platepass.com".  I went to the website and, with the Hertz rental agreement in hand, I was able to actually print out the invoice with applicable dates and charges.  Just in case any one thinks otherwise, there is a camera on you just about all the time. 

Hertz has a deal with several of the toll road states that allows you to blow through the toll stations without the requisite transponder.  (I'm sure that it's on page four of the small print that you sign and agree to, but never read.) The catch is that you pay $2.50 a day, regardless of usage.  In my case, I didn't know about the arrangement, and while I did miss the one toll booth, I paid the fee the other times I came to a toll plaza those three days that I was in Florida.  But the deal must be that if you miss one toll, you're under the Hertz program and the daily fee kicks in.  So I had the $0.75 missed toll, and three daily fees of $2.50 for the $8.25 total on my credit card.

I'm a bit curious on the math for this kind of arrangement as to who makes how much money.  Obviously, the technology allows for the processing of the data between the toll road cameras, Hertz's rental files, and the billing function, but there needs to be a lot of automated transactions if the various players are going to make money on a $7.50 fact-pattern.  This is different from my experience with the red light and speeding camera violations where the individual fines are usually in the $65-75 range.

Then again, I'm not that interested. 

Two weeks until Selection Sunday.  The Commish needs to dust off the rule book.

I'm trying to figure out why the Candian women's hockey team has to apologize to anyone for celebrating their gold medal in an empty arena (excepting for building staff and some obviously TMZ-trained photogs).  I mean, it's not like these girls were dancing on the bar at some club in the wee hours commiting various offenses against social norms.  Move on , people.

More later.  I'm off for a workout.

BCOT

2 comments:

camperkev said...

they were though smokin some "stogies" and commenting on Hannah Storm's outfit, so why wouldn't it be newsworthy? Was anyone else surprised by how "cute" some of the players were with all the gear on?

1 said...

@ camperkev: no matter how "cute" they might be, imagine how they smell. ish. don't let sage play hockey. prob not as much of an issue in ca as it is in mn....