Tuesday, February 09, 2010

Tuesday

More snow for us. I'm guessing 5-7 inches over the last couple of days. Enough for me to re-schedule a trip to Des Moines tomorrow to either Friday or another day later this month. My friend/client Dr. Doug has tickets to the Drake - UNI game tomorrow night, but I don't need to spend 6-8 hours on iffy roads to see what should be a blow-out.
.
It looks like I'm booked into Lincoln on Saturday to deliver some hand-me-down furniture to 4. One of her Iowa roomies now living in DM is getting some hand-me-down stuff from her parents, so 4 gets the tertiary pass-downs. Hey, when you have lawn chairs as your primary living room items, it's no time to be choosey. With LtPC as the delivery boy. Life is good.
.
So just in case you've been under a rock today and missed it, here's the cover shot of this year's SI swimsuit edition. I mean, they put out separate display cases even at the grocery store for the issue. Which has no sports reporting at all. Not that I am objecting. CNBC has a special on it during prime time tonight, and they've been shamelessly plugging it all day, including an in-studio interview with the model during the lunch program. (Maria Bartoromo nearly choked when she had to read a final promo at the end of her show.) Even CNBC has bought into a basic of Marketing 101; Sex Sells.
.
Next in line for over-exposure are (is?) the Vancouver Olympics which open this weekend. Is that a Sasquatch in the decal? I admit to having to consult Google maps to locate Vancouver. (Sorry, Seattle clan members. I am not smarter than a 5th grader when it comes to Canadian geography.) Al Gore must be a little bit happy; they've been hauling in snow for the skiing venue. I wonder how many personal-interest stories NBC will run on athletes who trudged 10 miles one way each day so that they could get to a skating rink to practice? Not sure which of the network interviewers I'll like least. Can't wait for the ice-dancing to begin. Whatever.
.
Here's an item that has me very curious. The Taurus' gas gauge doesn't work. Hasn't since I bought it for 1 several years ago. So you have to monitor gas consumption by the trip odometer that you have to reset at each fill-up. I basically fill-up whenever I get to the 150 mile mark (and yes, I have run out of gas by forgetting to keep my eye on the mileage gauge). Usually, that means I put in around 8 gallons, given the in-town travel and the inefficiency of the older car.
.
I had to stop for gas today and did so at a station that I rarely use toward central Davenport. I was under the 150 mile mark, but the pump registered over 11 gallons!. So I either, 1) didn't reset the trip odometer last time, 2) didn't actually fill the tank last time, 3)have a new issue with my car's gas mileage, or 4)the engineering on that pump has wandered off the reservation. (No offense to our Native American readers intended.)
.
The most likely solution is 2 above, as I recall having had some problems recently with a pump that wanted to auto-shutoff after three gallons. It's not likely 1 or 3, and I would hope to think that the state regulators would be testing flow rates to prevent 4 from happening. But 4 was my first guess.
.
That was really a long story. And not that interesting. Sorry.
.
All for tonight.
.
BCOT

1 comment:

1 said...

i love your stories about running out of gas. you probably don't.