Sunday, February 21, 2010

Sunday - Open Thread

0920: Did SB's early and went through all of the papers. Not a lot of exciting news. A couple of errands, and now headed to 1000 spin at Gold's.

I'm experimenting with this open-thread concept, as I anticipate adding to this entry at least a couple of times later today.

My pal Cal and I have a tentative date for a second SB's run after my spin class and the case that he is doing at the hospital. There's the possibility of a second spin class with him this afternoon.

The open thread technique is used by lots of bloggers who are following current events, usually politics or sports. I'm guessing that there are many such writers at the Olympics. Think of it as Twitter on steroids. Actually, I think some sporting leagues try to limit live blogging. There was a case during the NCAA tourney a few years ago where the NCAA shut down some guys trying to report the games in progress. My guess is that those guys were trying to run their blogs on some kind of a pay system. The NCAA doesn't want anybody but themselves earning $$$'s on the tournament.

I think that certain teams, if not the league, limits players from Twittering during games.

Speaking of March Madness, Direct TV is now advertising their "full-coverage" special for an additional $49.99. No thanks. Remember from last year that you still just get the CBS feed, and that's no bargain with all of their commercials and blather.

Off to spin. More later.

LATER 1130: Spin was a beech. I looked over at the clock when it said 1020 and knew at that time that I was going to die. Full class. And the regulars have learned to get there early to reserve their preferred bikes. By 0948 when I rolled in, water bottles and towels were already on all but a few of the 30 bikes in the room. That's the result of people knowing that they want to maybe spin by certain friends or companions, and the realization that some of the bikes are not that well-tuned.

Later Still 1230: My pal Cal just came by for a second pass-through at SB's. That guy just works too hard. He was up most of the night doing surgery after having had a full day of it yesterday. He and my pal Pete each have big "motors" that keep them fully-engaged in their professions. Cal needs to slow down and play more golf.

They're still saying 6-9 nine more inches of snow this evening and over night. Looking forward to that.

More later.

Last Update: The snow came in, but it really doesn't look that bad. Yet. Actually watched the Olympics for a little while this evening. Just can't get into it. Since I don't skate or ski, the competitions just don't quite have the appeal. Then again, I've never been a big fan of the Summer Olympics either. Anything that get the ooh's and aah's of the Today Show cast sends me the other way.

Have a great week.


BCOT

No comments: