Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Tuesday

Here's my new ride. Basically the same car as the previous one, except more gold in color than silver, a year newer, and a few more options. I didn't even take it for a test drive.

In recognition of today's reality, I didn't elect the extended warranty. Who will stand behind that contract when GM declares bankruptcy? I think that my client (the dealership) will survive, but the devil will be in the details.

I'm thinking about ponying up the 70 clams to get all the NCAA tournament games on my Direct TV system. It really only makes a difference that first Thursday-Sunday when they have all those games to get down to the Sweet Sixteen. ESPN used to have the broadcast rights to the first two days, and it was literally wall-to-wall basketball. It was nirvana to a college basketball fan. Once CBS bought the contract, everything got scheduled to fit CBS's preferences. Would Direct TV be a step back to the good old days?

The economic turmoil for my clients reached a new level this week when one elderly gentleman insisted that we get his money out of his account and in to his physical possession. Currency. To the tune of 1.5 mil. Sanity has left the building.

One nationally syndicated editorial page columnist spent his entire column dissing Twitter this week. Brian Williams of NBC is another well-known and widely-quoted Twitter critic. The criticism all runs the same course: no one is interesting enough to merit frequent updates. On that point, I kind of agree. On the other hand, I've found the service a bit interesting in the short run. Unless Twitter is selling the Internet addresses of it's users, I'd consider the concept no more harmless than other email-like technologies.

An unusually good day in the market today. I don't see a trend, but gains are always welcome. Lots of political, broadcast, and financial finger-pointing from a variety of folks who enjoy stirring the pot. To most of these characters, ratings and polls are all that matter. I keep my finger close to the mute button.

Hope Wednesday is a good one.

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You can buy mattresses with safes built right in. Might want to tip your client off... sounds like he could use it..