Friday, March 20, 2009

Friday

Here's today's report from Beantown. As I recall, there's a Dunkin Donuts on every corner in Boston.

Happy Birthday to Margaret. She would have been 101 today. This is a 4000 Days rerun of the pic of Mother and me in front of the old house on the farm circa 1967-8, my guess. (Notice the cistern in the background. I'll write a future entry on cistern stories only!)

For fun, here are 10 of my All Time great memories of Margaret:

1. Taking hay on the Radio Flyer sled across the field in the Winter to feed the "dry" cows and yearlings. Axe and spade atop the hay bales.

2."How 'ya feelin', Mother?" With my fingers!

3. Hoeing the tomatoes in the garden.

4. Frozen TV dinners when I was the only kid still at home.

5. Her as the school cook at St. Pat's in Ottumwa.

6. Her obcessive need for weekly letters from her kids.

7. Absentee ballots.

8. Fried chicken on Sunday's.

9. Her love for her grandchildren.

10. Crosswords!!!!! (And she cheated with special dictionaries!)

Go have a cocktail for her tonight. Not too many, mind you, but a little salute is OK.

BCOT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder if me working the polls as an election worker has anything to do with her work prior to the polls. I will never forget the jerks in DesMoines who accused her of absentee voter fraud in the what turned out to be the last election that Daddy was in?? Politics has not changed a lot since then.

Tahoe Phil

Tahoe Phil

Anonymous said...

Mary and I also made it to the Courtyard Marriot that Dad and I stayed at for one night during college visits four years ago. Unfortunately, it was too dark to capture on the cell phone. If you weren't aware already, Dad, that's not the best location in "Beantown" (we could have gotten shot, easily, being so close to Chinatown and Downtown Crossing, but there's no way for us to have known at the time) but it's probably the best night I've spent in a hotel.