Sunday, March 08, 2009

Sunday

A little update here at SB's on a Sunday morning. Rainy and gloomy here.

That "spring forward" was a bit of a disappointment. The earlier start time this year makes the morning a little darker and more Winter-ish. I'm not sure if I adjusted to the "fall back". (Although this year I did change my bedside clock. Last year it was an hour off all Summer!)

I would have tried to spin this AM, but I failed to sign up early enough and the class was full. All other things being equal, I think I'll do a solo spin class on my own this afternoon. Then start the week off tomorrow with the 0545 class.

The StL trip is on for the 26th-28th of June. 1 and 1.1 are going to all three games. 2 and I will join for the Saturday game, and Friday and Saturday evening drinks/dinners. We're just a year late in seeing that new stadium.

It looks like the new Buick will be available tomorrow or Tuesday. Wells Fargo elected to play a, "We need to hold this check until it clears", game on my insurance settlement from State Farm. So I need to juggle some other cash to pay for the replacement car. The bank is being bureaucratically unreasonable and once in the system so coded, I'm screwed. I should have insisted on better treatment when I made the deposit. But I figured that when they said that they needed to put a hold on the deposit, that they meant a couple of days. Big mistake. Some minion put a two week hold on it! Unbelievable. And they wonder why we don't trust the big banks.

Another one of the negative by-products of my crash/injury is that because I have spent so much time on the couch, and not out and about doing stuff, the inspirational material for the blog has drained to a sliver of it's former self. I'm almost relegated to being a TV critic. Fewer trips to Hy Vee. No Gold's. Stale stuff at SB's. Should I be filing a claim with State Farm for alienation of the creative arts?

My favorite bartender at Biaggi's was fired last week for serving a minor. It was a police sting, and since the restaurant had failed similar stings at other locations, corporate had made a clear policy that any bartender failing the same test would be fired immediately. In this case, the bartender requested the ID, but miscalculated the age, and the cops were literally just outside the door. The result was a citation to the bartender, personally, and one to the restaurant separately. An awful result for everyone. A mistake, yes. But not of intent. Formal reprimand and punishment, absolutely. Dismissal? For a Grade A employee? I'm not sure what that accomplishes. Especially in an industry famous for schmucks behind the bar.

Losing battery power. More later.

BCOT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

the story about biagis sucks. rotten for the bartender. i'm looking forward to the week without basketball:) staff development tomorrow so kind of a short week school-wise. i've applied to a few reading licensure programs and hopefully in the next month will hear from someone. i'd be surprised if i didn't get admitted to the programs, but i don't want to be over-confident. one is at the u of m and the other is through another state university but is all online. obivously that would be my first choice. i'd rather have the flexiblity to do the work when i had time and not have to fight traffic and figure out parking at the u. i think the license will be valued no matter where i get it. not that i'm uber excited to go back to school, but it will provide a little job security. hopefully.
watched a game of matt's last night. one team was from the conference we play in; they beat us by about 80. they lost the game by 20 and looked completely inept. the team they were playing was a suburban team and was fun to watch. i'd almost forgotten what good basketball looked like! at another local game two people were arrested for a fight. one had a gun. i'm glad i wasn't at that game.
on another note, why was no notice paid to the ust men's team? they went undefeated this season in d3 play. based on strenght of schedule they were awarded the 2 seed and won last night against stevens point. go tommies!

camperkev said...

Great to see you back in Spin!