Sunday, December 26, 2010

Sunday

I'm leaving the manger scene up for another day or two in recognition of the season.  I could go to a "white-out" vista from any front door in Minnesota, but I'll save that for the new year.

Merry The-Day-After-Christmas to the peanut gallery!  Pretty typical day here. 1.1 and I are watching the NFL pre-game shows while 1.01 naps, and the girls and SRH are out hunting for retail bargains.  2 and I will head back to the QCA after lunch, while the rest of the crew has another day with the Belle of the Ball.  Actually, 3 is not scheduled to leave until Tuesday oh-dark-hundred, but there's storm out East that may change her plans.  It's been another very successful FFF for our crew.

Special thanks out to my pals Pete and Bill for watching The Winniferous who's been keeping guard at my place.  Very generous, boys!  I owe.

That Christmas Eve drive was a bear.  I-80 was snow-covered most of the way over to Des Moines.  I snuggled in behind a semi-tanker who had no fear and was able to average 60mph most of the way.  Conditions were no where near as bad as last year at this time, but it was a big relief to get to I-35 North where there was little snow to handle.

Immediately upon our 0100 arrival at the Woodbury Hampton, 4 and I were greeted with a wave from a self-described "cranky" 2 and SRH, both of whom immediately returned to bed, while 3 joined us in our room for a glass of the top-shelf J Lohr.  Of course, that led to a second glass.  And perhaps mistakenly, a second bottle.  And an 0300 bedtime.  We barely beat 1.01's get-up time. 

Props to RevKev for getting reunion pics up for the clan.  Then again, the gathering was in early July, and it is now late December, but what's a little space on the calendar?  Here's a good one of the girls.  Lots of good ones of everyone in the complete collection.  Can you say, "Family Photo Album"?  It might be a coffee table book for the ages.
.
(Blogger is being very difficult this AM.  I can't get the pic moved according to my preferences.  It's going wherever it wants to go!   Hmmmm.)

Can't say that I remember being on long drives on Christmas Eve before, but it was interesting that many of the gas stations were closed after 5 o'clock.  When I pulled off the highway just North of Des Moines to meet up with 4, none of the stations at the primary Ankeny exit were open. There was a fair amount of traffic, so I was curious if there were/are agreements/contracts with the Departments of Transportation in the states for a minimum number of Interstate outlets to stay open.  I can't imagine that they leave that choice exclusively to the operators.

3 pulled a George Costanza at SB's this morning.  "I'll buy", she said on the way over from the hotel.  Once in line and placing our order, it was the old, "Whoops, Dad.  I left my wallet in the car!"  Unplanned, but a blog-worthy episode.

OK.  Now getting ready for lunch and departure.  Maybe more once I get back to the 563.

Have a great day.

BCOT

1 comment:

camperkev said...

hey, you get what you pay for.....