Sunday, December 12, 2010

Sunday

For the record, the classic film, White Christmas, with Bing Crosby, is running on AMC as I write this entry.  I actually like parts of this one better than It's a Wonderful Life.  But the listing shows it with a two hour, forty-five minute running time!  LtPC doesn't have that kind of staying power.

(Totally off the wall:  Danny Kaye, Bing's co-star in this one, has a lot of facial expressions and appearances that remind me of Kosmo Kramer on Seinfeld.  Check it out when you see it in the next few days.)

Very successful Christmas party in Muskie last night.  Not sure of the rumor that customers in Muscatine could find no wine in town this AM.

1's report on the snow and cold in the TC hits lots of superlatives.  1.01 will have stories to tell her grandchildren about how cold and snowy it was when she was a girl!

I didn't think that the weather here this morning was that bad, but Gold's invoked the class cancellation protocol, and there was no instructor for my 10 AM spin class.  That fact escaped me (and about 8 others) until a gal went to the desk around 1005 and was told that there was no class.  Whatever.  I still did my own workout by trying to estimate time and distance from the hills on some of my regular road rides.  A couple of other gals hung out for a while too.  A little odd with no music, no spin Nazi and an empty room.  No wonder there are so many stationary bikes gathering dust in so many basements.

The good news is that my Kohl's mailer for the 14-24th had a 30% discount coupon for all purchases.  Christmas might be a little suiter for the fam as a result!

So does putting a hockey rink at midfield in The Big House and getting 113,000+ people to show up prove anything?  I mean, for most of the crowd, the teams could have just skated and pretended to be using a puck  (Dare I say "air hockey"?).  How can you see a hockey puck from the 55th row?

That reminds me of a story about the 6-on-6 girls basketball set-up in the old days.  The Des Moines Register would occasionally assign non-sports reporters to cover the girls' state tournament.  Donald Kaul, a political columnist whose stuff was syndicated to papers throughout the country, (also a notorious Left Winger extraordinare (and a founder of RAGBRAI)), related that the year they sent him there, the teams were in the middle of the second quarter of the championship game before they realized that they didn't have a ball!

Not even getting into the story about the moon landing filmed in a hanger in Area 51.

Have a good week.

BCOT






No comments: