Sunday, December 05, 2010

Sunday

I'm starting a "Christmas Recognition Distinction" effort to publish the positions of our various retailers with regard to their political correctness (or not).  KFC's ad for saving time by bringing in their $19.99 dinner special is for the "Holiday Season".  Target's ads that I saw this weekend used "Christmas".  More to come in the days ahead as I take particular notice.  Don't be afraid to add your own in the Comments section.

I had another newspaper etiquette situation this morning at Starbuck's.  I had brought in the two local papers, as I often do, and had them sitting beside me on the couch, fully read as I was just hanging by myself to finish my Cup o' Fire before heading to spin.  A guy walks past toward the back, glancing at the stack, then comes back, stops, looks at the papers again and asks if they are mine.

I responded that, "Yes, they are mine, but I'm done with them and you're welcome to them."  And gratuitously add, "There's not much in them worth reading." To which he responds, something to the effect of, "Yeah, that's why I don't like to buy them."  And he proceeds to pick through the stack, takes a few pieces, says, "Thanks", and goes over to the counter, picks up his coffee, and walks out of the store.

I was taken back a bit at the immediate leaving of the store with the papers.  I had not said anything like, "I'd like them back", but my senses were offended a little that he took the goods and ran.  My idea is that "left" papers at the coffee shop are usually off limits for unfettered taking until after lunch.  Maybe take the puzzle, or an obit, but complete sections?  This guy's act was almost presumptuous to me.  I think. 

Then there's the added factoid that he was clutching the Sunday NY Times to his chest.  So my subsequent analysis was that I had a cheap Left Winger scrounging for my local fish wrap, but willing to spend $5 bucks to lap up the dribble from Frank Rich and Maureen Dowd.  That's not a good fact pattern for hopenchange.

I'm making a checklist to vet the next guy who wants my paper.

OK.  Here's where we're at with NBC:  both Saturday and Sunday afternoons were extended commercials for that pillar of society, Tiger Woods.  The Tiger adulation by NBC Golf's broadcast crew was wretch-inducing.  Give me a break.  The guy is a self-indulgent creep.  And the more tidbits that come out about his various mistresses, the more obvious that he wasn't even good at picking the candy. Hello, Forest Woods.
,
Then tonight we had the pleasure to watch Football Night in America, a game that they had shilled ad nauseum all week.  The game featured one team (Pittsburgh) whose quarterback has been investigated formally, twice in different time zones, for sex crimes (and was suspended for the first four games this season by a Commissioner trying to save face for the league), and a second team (Baltimore) whose celebrated middle linebacker was charged with murder a few years ago.  Yeah, these guys got the high-paid lawyers and got out of the crimes, but so did OJ.

Tell me NBC is only trying to do the right thing for reformed sinners.  Right.  I elected to go with a rerun of Ice Road Truckers.

By the way, another current History Channel (inadvertent oxymoron!) success story is American Pickers, the on-going story of a couple of glorified junk yard scavengers who document their travels and negotiations to find treasure in other people's trash, so to speak.  I met the one guy at a river tavern on the Illinois side this Summer.  Very common.  They're based in LeClaire, Iowa, a town just off I-80 when you cross into Iowa from Illinois.  This show is evidence that people will watch almost anything.  Kind of like auctions; put stuff in a box, and some fool will buy it.  P.T. Barnum lives.

So good luck to all with the new week.  Coldest days of the season coming here.  Button up!

BCOT

No comments: