Sunday, June 03, 2007

Sunday

Just a few lines today.

I did get up to De Witt this AM. I was a little later out of the blocks than I had planned. But a 6:15 departure worked ok. 47+. Breakfast at the Sunrise Cafe. Several other riders were out on the road as well. Lots of red-winged blackbirds, but none in attack-mode. (I did have one dive-bomb me yesterday, just like my friend from last year.) One unruly dog.

The variety of road-kill along my route today was impressive. The wet weather brings out the snakes, toads and the like which have no chance with a 2000 pound vehicle pounding along at 50+ MPH. Add in your normal assortment of raccoons, skunks, birds and squirrels and you have quite the menu. Could this be American Midwest sushi? On a bike, you get a real close-up view of a lot of anatomy. That you would rather not see.

Sorry for that brief insight into cycling's little talked-of panorama.

Looks like 4 was not able to find a computer over the weekend.

Ellen Goodman's column today was about the environmental benefits of gardening and raising your own food. It's worth the read. Very tongue in cheek. One comment, actually a quote from Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver, about the energy costs to transport an item of fresh fruit from California to Philadelphia, and the resultant need of the consumer to spend an hour on the treadmill in Maryland was especially good.

Speaking of environmental protections, how much good does it do to recycle the sleeves on your SB's coffee? There's a local SB's competitor who is giving customers a free cup after 10 usages (I think) of the same sleeve. I think they've been reading my former GF Sheryl's global warming blog.

Actually, if we wanted to get Jerry, George, Elaine and Kramer involved in the discussion, we could debate the relative environmental impact of the use of a sleeve versus the use of a double-cup. Add a sleeve to a double-cup and we're talking serious stuff.

Another of life's challenges has occurred to me with the change of my Russian cleaning ladies. The new gal is not quite as good at keeping my stuff in the right places, that is, the places where I keep my stuff and expect to find it. Not a lot of exceptions, but each time she comes, there are always a couple of items slightly askew.

I'm off to my domestic duties.

Have a great day.

Be careful out there.

No comments: