Saturday, June 16, 2007

Saturday

Another hot one here.

My pal Pete and I went out to Davenport's West Lake this AM to watch the triathlon. Lots of spectators. 600 yards in the water. 15 miles on the bike. Three mile run. Rather than a mass entry into the lake, they started individually at three second intervals. It took almost an hour to get all the competitors into the event. My new employee Jessica was doing the race. We saw her in the transition area between the swim and bike elements.

There is a major triathlon in Des Moines tomorrow with like a million dollar purse. Hy Vee is the sponsor. A story in the paper this morning talked about the Tendall girl from the Century Heights neighborhood who was a gymnast/diver at PV. She is nationally competitive as a pro triathlete.

Another friend of mine (my age or so) who was in the golf event this week is a runner who recently did a 50K run! I mean, fitness is great. But isn't there a limit?

No big plans for today. A little ride at some point. Still in recovery from golf.

We talked to 4 yesterday afternoon. She wasn't in bad spirits and was looking forward to her weekend. Still a little sore from the purse incident.

Pete and I are doing DeWitt in the morning. They are doing some much-needed repair work to the Duck Creek bike path in central Davenport. Widening and re-surfacing, I think. Parts of it between Duck Creek Park and Eastern Avenue have been very rough for several years. That's the part that gets flooded whenever there's a lot of rain.

In a shockingly good development, my back yard neighbor had the dead and dying trees cut down yesterday! There's still some clean-up for them to do, but at least I don't have to worry about trees falling on my house in the next storm.

I paid $2.79 for gas today.

Hope everyone has a good weekend.

Be careful out there.

No comments: