Monday, June 18, 2007

Monday

Another Monday in Ordinary Time.

FFF was good last night. Brats (with sauerkraut), turkey brats, salad and mixed fresh fruit. And a little Whitey's strawberry ice cream for dessert. Wine and a date for a Cub's game were my gifts. Both were good choices.

It was really good to talk to all the girls on Father's Day. They all live such busy lives. Taking the time to check in with Dear Old Dad is meaningful to me.

The big news in the fam is that 3 is now going to be joining 2 and 4 for the two weeks of European travel in advance of 1's wedding week. 3's a bit at loose ends as she awaits starting her Chicago job next month. This trip will pretty well round-out the last days of her pre-Real World life. I just hope that the three of them can survive two weeks of travel together without pushing one another into a moat at one of the castles that they might visit.

The College World Series is in full swing in Omaha. Seems like the same protagonists are there again this year. My fav Erin Andrews is doing color from the dugouts and the grand stands. She perfectly fits the sideline reporter niche on ESPN, but I bet she's too perky to get a promotion to a studio position. They need to be male or relatively dull females for those jobs.

My old (now deceased) friend Wally and I talked several times about getting out to Omaha for a couple of days for the CWS, but we never got it done. You need to be a fan of one of the teams playing, or a die-hard baseball fan to make that trip. But I will do it one of these years.

My SB's author-friend Tim is the Race Director for a kid's triathlon that they are having in Middle Park in Bettendorf on the 30th of this month. I volunteered last year (as did 4), and I have elevated status this year to supervisor of the parking lot/transition area. There was a bigger-than-expected turn-out last year, and with some additional publicity, I anticipate an even larger field on the 30th. I'm looking for a few more volunteers to herd the cats.

Is there anything so stupid as the NCAA enforcing a "no blog" rule during these baseball games? Oops. I forgot. We are talking about the NCAA. They invented stupid rules.

The scoring at the US Open Golf Tournament last weekend was so difficult that most of the players finished double digits over par. If you had to play that course everyday, you wouldn't have a problem with golf addiction. A good golfer at your local country club wouldn't break 100 at Oakmont.

I do find it interesting that the Pennsylvania Turnpike literally goes right through the course. Having made the drive between Dover, Delaware and the Midwest several times via that road, I know now that I can say that I have been at Oakmont. I just didn't know it at the time. And I wasn't there very long.

I'm off for a quiet evening. Maybe taking Margret to the DQ.

Be careful out there.

No comments: