Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Wednesday

Dow 13,000. I wouldn't have bet on that level as of the first of the year.

Crappy day here today. Lots of rain. My sump pump at my house has been working overtime. I did get my yard mowed on Sunday so if the rain abates, I should be able to keep it under control if we get some dry weather in the next day or two.

I'm headed down to the Figge for a little event with 2 this evening.

Craig Wilson's column this morning was about his nightmare in air travel a couple of weeks ago, and the $800+ he spent on a one-way ticket to get home. Most of us have had an experience like that to remember. Here is my top ten list of worst travel experiences:

1. Iowa to Dallas for the 1970 Cotton Bowl. By car. Iced highways.
2. San Francisco to Kunsan, Korea 1973. It took 24+ hours to get to my new home.
3. Iowa City to Sterling with Mom 1975 Thanksgiving. Blizzard.
4. Dover, Delaware to South Bend 1972 to visit. Sideways rain on the Pennsylvania Turnpike.
5. Chicago winters of 1978/79 and 1979/80. Snow on The Kennedy.
6. Steamboat, Colorado back to Brooklyn, Iowa 1982. The day the car died of cold!
7. South Bend to Philly in an USAF twin-prop 1968 for the Navy game. Scary.
8. Cabo back to Quad Cities 1999. It took forever. Finally by bus from C-town.
9. International Falls to Quad Cities 1992. Cancelled flights. Nothing to do.
10. Rural Delaware, 1972. He was over-served. I got out of the car in the middle of no-where and took two hours to walk home in the middle of the night.

Have a great evening.

Be careful out there.

.

No comments: