Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Tuesday

I had great expectations of getting the blog done early this morning, but it didn't work out. I had a client come in at 7:30 and I had to prepare some things for the meeting. I would like to get my life organized enough to do the blog before work so that I could get away earlier at the end of the day to ride. It's a goal.

I attended an executive meeting of the QC Criterium yesterday to check in on my investment. The Memorial Day races are just five weeks away so the organizers are starting to get serious in their preparations. The website is up. Check it out at www.quadcitiescriterium.com. In addition to the promotion work that the race is doing itself, I'm doing some radio spots emphasizing our sponsorship of the event. The next month is pretty important to maximize our involvement in the race.

Basso was put on the sidelines today by Discovery in response to new efforts in the Spanish doping scandal of a year ago. A big one-day race tomorrow in Belgium and another on Sunday will not have him in the peloton. An Italian prosecutor has decided to pursue the investigation even though the Spanish authorities determined that there was no Spanish law in effect at the time was broken. Messy stuff. They have some bagged blood that they think has been doctored for various racers, including Basso. DNA testing may be utilized, and if the bagged stuff is Basso's, he's toast.

Another ugly day in Iraq and on Capital Hill. More casualties in the field, and more lies uncovered in the Tillman matter. I have elected to not place current politics on the menu here, but we need a better answer to this mess.

The Bulls go for a 2-0 lead tonight against the Heat. I don't care much about the NBA, but it would be nice to see the Bulls' perimeter game and defense carry the day.

And in significant other news, Toyota took the worldwide lead in the first quarter over GM on units sold. I vaguely remember seeing the first Corollas that hit the market in Ottumwa in the late '60's or early '70's. Times change. It is a world market today. And we will not always be the center of it.

Speaking of change, my one-time fantasy girl Sheryl Crow is now off my list. Her latest recommendation for conservation is to use one square of tissue per bathroom sitting. I don't think that'll work. She has continued her global warming bus tour with Laurie David who is the wife of Larry David, the producer of Sienfeld (and, news to me, the voice of George Steinbrenner on the show), and the HBO series Curb Your Enthusiasm. Liberal is a term that does not do justice to their perspectives. In any event, I have emailed Sheryl that she need not change her schedule on my behalf.

So have a good evening.

Be careful out there.

No comments: