Monday, April 02, 2007

Monday

Thanks to AM for giving us all some food for thought. I like the one for the Retired: If it's not easy, don't do it.

I enjoyed the NASCAR race yesterday. The 24 and 48 did the old "bump and grind" for the last 25-30 laps on a track no bigger than the one in Eldon. Unfortunately, the 24 came in second.

I'll be headed out soon to watch the game tonight. Can't say that I really care who wins. Lots of talk today about how fouls can impact these games so much. Should the college game go to six fouls before disqualification, just like the pros? Good question. One of the things that happens in the tournament is that teams may be experiencing whistling that may be different than the standard set in their conferences. Certainly, the Big 10 is a contact, grinders' game. The officials in the tournament in the early round games seemed inclined to let the teams play. But in these later games, they have called things pretty tight.

4 advises us that she has been accepted to the program in Spain for May. 2 is planning to join her for a couple of weeks of travel in late June or early July. I wish I were in college again.

My pal Pete's second son is transferring from Iowa to Augustana next year. He'll have two years of eligibility remaining. This will make the games next season more appealing to me. If 2 is still around, we'll have a few more date-nights.

Once I get past April 15th, I've got to pick out some sporting events and get them on my schedule. I miss having a game or other event to go to on a regular basis. Augie and St. Ambrose both have many Spring sports on the calendar. Maybe some track meets.

If I ride four days a week, the open dates shrink. And the yard and garden will soon be calling. So really, when it comes right down to it, I have a lot to do. But this stuff, including the biking, can get old pretty quick. Besides, it's more fun to get out there and do stuff with others.

The issue of what to do is a real significant one for early retirees. If they don't have an interest, they sit at home and life gets pretty dark.

I didn't even realize that it was Palm Sunday until I took a break from work around noon yesterday and caught up with the news on the web.

All for today. Thanks for checking in.

Be careful out there.

No comments: