Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Tuesday

Just a few lines tonight to check in on the day after Tax Day.

My pal Bill is over in London visiting his son who is doing a semester abroad.  And my pal Roy is headed to Rome on Thursday to visit his daughter who is doing a semester in Paris.  By comparison, Cal's this coming Saturday trip to Kiawah Island for a few days seems a little pedestrian.  So why wouldn't I join the traveling crowd and venture over to Nebraska for Easter?  4 and I will make some final choices for our August trip, as well as do a couple of training rides.

Here's a small bomb: I'm seriously considering a change in coffee shops.  I've been doing this same Starbuck's for the last several years, and I'm just a little bored with the routine.  Maybe something different for the Summer.  I have a history of moving my morning watering hole.  The boys in the clatch were a little taken aback when I tossed this one out this morning.  We'll see.

Old Muddy is out of her banks in Davenport.  2 has a direct view from her office in the museum.  Numerous streets are closed downtown, and the minor league ballpark is an island.  They've actually played games there this week.  After the flood a few years ago (when the field was fully exposed and essentially ruined for the year), they designed a combined system of earthen dikes, walls and some portable structures that have kept the stadium dry and playable.

It was a shock to learn that the "independent" investigation on the death of the student video-agrapher at the ND football practice last Fall found no one at fault.  Listening to Father Jenkins and Coach Kelly beat mea copa on their chests for the cameras was too much for me.  I'm sure that they both squeezed the news conference in between other scheduled appearances to beat the drum for the University's coffers.

Iowa is down to four congressional seats and the legislature has approved the redesign.  I think that this is the final map.  Not sure what it means for the incumbents in the five district arrangement.  But, do the math, folks.


Headed to bed.  Travel tomorrow.  And maybe Muskie tomorrow night.

BCOT

No comments: