Monday, April 25, 2011

Monday...UPDATED

Here's the lone photo op from the weekend.  This was 4 at work during the 10 PM newscast on Friday night, taken from my Droid.  She gets the distinction of Daughter of the Day.

The report from Lincoln is good, although we really didn't do much.  Friday was a dreary travel day as I didn't escape the rain until almost Omaha.  So there was no stopping along the way to bang out some miles on the bike.  We did get out for a nice ride on some of the Lincoln paths on Saturday, but it was something less than a perfect riding day.  Multiple clothing layers.  Some wind.  And Sunday AM was just too chilly for either of us.

We did spend some time on the computer yesterday and  finalized our resting spots for August.  The Pyernees' staging location will be Bagneres de Bigorre in Southern France.  Its a spa town not far from Lourdes.  Originally, I was thinking that larger towns such as Pau or Tarbes might give us more options, but 25 miles is 50 miles on a round trip, and who needs the additional time in the car?  Now we just have to decide on day trips and cycling routes.

4 is not a stick-shift driver, and the initial scan of the rental cars with an automatic transmission option didn't look so good.  Any volunteers for driver training this Summer?

My last task before leaving the office on Friday was to do the math on our office pool for the NCAA tournament.  We're still doing that accounting by hand, so the results are never available until after April 15th.  The big surprise to me was that I was the winner!  I was the only entrant who had a team win in the Final Four.  No one picked UConn to win the whole thing, but I had them winning the semifinal game.  And there were only three other players who had even one team in the Final Four.  (And they all had Kentucky.)

Of course, as the organizer/operator, I don't keep the loot ($75), so the second-place finisher will be getting a little surprise this week.  This was the kind of tournament where nobody did well, so no one has called thinking that they might have been the winner.

Talked with my pal Roy yesterday.  He called from Monaco to harass me for not getting anything up on the blog for the last few days.  He must be bored.  And Cal called from Kiawah this AM while we were at coffee.  Cal's early morning flight out of Moline was cancelled in the middle of the night, and he got the old auto-call from Delta about his re-booking.  At least he didn't get routed to StL for the tornado!

Sounds like 3 had a busy weekend.  She needs to give up some commentary.

More here later.

UPDATE...

Rain again this evening.  No ride. 

My new couch is supposed to be delivered on Wednesday, so I elected to make the effort tonight to try to get my current couch to the basement.  You have to understand that I've got a limited-entry situation to my basement...small door, not a lot of space to wiggle and maneuver.  I actually managed to get the smaller of the two sections all of the way down by myself, with only minor complications.  And it was the section with the hide-a-bed.  But it was a tight fit, and the other section is at least two feet longer.  No way it will make it without some modifications (which I anticipated all along).

My solution to the dilemma is to call on my Perfect Neighbor Jim (PNJ).  Why wouldn't I?  I figure that PNJ can do the break-down of the two ends during the day tomorrow, and then my pal Pete and I can get it downstairs tomorrow night.  PNJ may need to schedule another day for re-assembly.  He's pretty handy.

The tax season delivered another smack upside my head today.  I forgot/overlooked/double-scheduled a lunch meeting today, and suffered the consequences...an unhappy client.  A situation where I was totally at fault.  Juggling all those balls, and one got away from me.  You make little choices all day long, and you rely on your recall to make sure that an oral promise gets down on paper...or at least onto Outlook.  I need to get a better handle on my days.

Tomorrow is the Pleasant Valley Schools Foundation annual golf outing.  My pal Ron leaned on me pretty hard to join his group.  But the good news is that the rain is supposed to continue through tomorrow, and I told him all along that if the weather was below par, I'd give him the $$$, but I wasn't playing in the cold/rain/snow.

Hope everyone has a good week.

BCOT

No comments: