Thursday, April 21, 2011

Thursday

This is a belated birthday recognition to the clan's Founding Father.  He would have been 101 on April 19th.  He is officially Father of The Day.  Two days late, but I doubt that he objects.

I snapped this pic that last Summer before he passed away.  I remember wondering to myself that day as to how many more times he was going to make it on to that tractor.  I think I gave him a bit of a hard time about him getting "soft", what with an enclosed cab and all.  Heck, I remember having to start the old John Deere B that we had by either coasting it down the hill and popping the clutch, or by giving the flywheel a big turn...by hand.  To say we were poor farmers was an understatement!

I'm pretty sure that Daddy would not mind sharing billing today with 1.01.  Not at all clear on the fashion statement that is being made here, but coming from a guy with a wardrobe that doesn't get far from black, gray, navy and other shades of basic blue, I'm sticking with, "You go girl!"

The Mississippi is still rising in Davenport.  It should crest tomorrow based on the latest estimates.  If it then goes down steadily, damages will not be catastrophic for the vast majority of residents.  The people who choose to live near the rivers are of an ilk that I will never understand.  I mean, its not like the river has never flooded! 
This aerial pic was half of the front page of the Rock Island Argus this morning.  River's edge is normally a concrete wall with a metal-pole fence that runs the length of downtown.  That wall is about 25 yards beyond the right field fence.

Lots of moving parts in the fam tomorrow.  I hope to intersect with 3 and Herky on my way to Lincoln after lunch.  Be safe to all.

More later.

BCOT

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not sure in 14 more years I would be able get up into the tractor. Daddy in my later years when I would visit would not let me fool with the machinery. Probably a good idea. His statement was that he would never retire because many of his friends did and then they died.

Tahoe Phil

camperkev said...

Do you really think you could get up into the tractor today??

Anonymous said...

Good point

Tahoe Phil