Monday, April 18, 2011

Monday

Pizza last night from Harris in Bettendorf, and yet another lesson in life at a cost of only $1.  A bargain.

I'm guessing that it was the accounting career that sent me over to the edge of liking round numbers.  When I fill up with gas, I always keep squeezing and stopping until the pump registers a "5" or a "0" as the last number in the total cost.  It has to be $33.15.  Not $33.12.  And I usually pick up a small handful of change as I leave the house each morning so that I will have the extra penny or two to make change at the store.  And I like getting quarters back in change, so I'll give up a nickle or a dime as the case dictates to make that work.

The carry-out pizza last night was $11.51.  As the clerk sets the wrapped pizza on the counter, I first drop a $20, and then follow that up with a $1, and then see that I have a couple of quarters and a penny, so I lay them on the counter as well.  I'm thinking of getting that $10 bill back, or maybe two $5's.  Ah contaire, you of counting your chickies before they are hatched!

Harris runs a pretty loose ship, and the cash drawer was open as another clerk was helping with another customer, so my guy didn't input my payment; he just did the math in his head.  In retrospect, I'm not sure if, a) it didn't register to him that I had given him that extra single that he had in his hand, b) he literally couldn't add and subtract in the same transaction, or c) he was so focused on the $20 that the other currency and change just didn't matter.  Whatever.

So he grabs the bills and sweeps the change off the counter, and I knew I was in for a surprise when he fished for $1's, and not a second $5.  He hands me four $1's (including the one I gave him!) and the $5, and thanks me for the business.  I look at him a little crosswise and ask, "Are you sure that's right?"  It was a quick reply, "You bet, sir.  Have a nice evening."  Hmmm.  Not wanting to make a scene over a single $1, I elected to pass on the normal tip I leave for the cooks, and headed home.

You can never be too careful in trying to be a good customer.  Three card Monte lives at Harris.

More later.

BCOT

No comments: