Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sunday...UPDATED

Another great day on the Gulf.  Here's a pic of Richard and me on the 15th tee.  The Gulf is behind us, but hard to see in this photo because of cloud-cover merging with the water.  The course is carved out of the dunes on this barrier island.  Designed by Arnold Palmer.  Typical resort course with lots of trouble off the fairway.  Beware of snakes!

Going to be working on my "hangin' out" skills this afternoon.  Maybe back here after a nap.

BCOT

UPDATE...

Just a few more lines before hitting the sack in anticipation of that oh-dark-hundred return flight in the AM.  I had my friend Richard bring me to a hotel close to the airport late this afternoon so as to save him from the early morning trip.  And I think that he and his wife Kim were ready to throttle it back from all the company.  They had like 30 people for the Friday evening catered party, with about 12 people staying overnight (they now own two houses here!).  And four of those couples stayed over Saturday night as well.

This map is a little hard to read, but Port Aransas is a Gulf-side city on this barrier island across from Corpus Christi.  I wouldn't call it ritzy by East or Left coast standards as I know them, but the homes in the newer developments on the island are likely in the mid six figures.  The golf course we played is at about the "361" road sign below Port Aransas on the map.  It was designed/constructed as a housing development about three years ago, and none of the lots have been built upon.  The course is in bankruptcy.

Now I'm no weather wizard, but they do get hurricanes in the Gulf, right?  Seems to me that building houses on barrier islands is not dis-similar to building in a flood plain back in the Midwest.  But just like like "river" people back home, the beach folks down here just can't resist the allure of the sea.  I guess.   Love visiting here, and I'll likely be back, but I like my permanent turf high and dry.

Lots of Texas fans in the group.  Hard-core Texas fans.  Rather than watch Ohio State or NASCAR live last night, they watched replays of the Rangers' baseball game and the Texas-Nebraska football game from the DVR!  Say what?  I filtered down to my room and to the kitchen on a regular basis to catch the other events and to snack.  (I elected to leave my Nebraska t-shirt in my bag for the evening!)

So I'll be back on line from the road tomorrow.  Thanks for reading.  Make it a good and safe week.  Y'all...

BCOT

1 comment:

1 said...

Sounds like a cool trip! I didn't even know somewhere like that existed...
Getting geared up here for teacher parent conferences tomorrow. 3:45-7:15 I won't get to see 1.01 at all :( I'm so drained after a long day like that I wish we didn't have school the next day. We do get thurs and fri off, but then we have another night of conferences next week. I've never been at a school where they had the same schedule for conference two years in a row. Impossible to make everyone happy. Luckily I'm going to be 'sick' next fri! I'll have a case of fff!
Am thankful for the nice fall weather we've had here. Hope it continues.