Saturday, July 04, 2009

Saturday

Happy Independence Day!!
Rainy here so far all of today. Not the best conditions for outdoor activities. But the evening could turn out just fine.

3 may be at the Boston Pops tonight. Hope her weather cooperates. Niel Diamond? Or a clone? I thought that guy was long gone. Maybe he's like Jim Nabors' singing the National Anthem at the Indy 500. A once a year gig.

With the markets closed yesterday, I figured that all the normal closures would occur. But the banks in our area were open, and SB's didn't have that holiday feel. What happened to the first half of the year?

I didn't tell everyone about one very interesting conversation that I had down in StL while the rest of you partied till the cow's came home. A late evening visit to the lobby bar produced an unexpected (one could say surreal) chat with Stan "The Man" Musial. Here's the transcript from that meeting:

LtPC: Excuse me sir, and I don't me to bug you, but you look like Stan Musial. Any relation?

STM: You've got good eyes sonny. Have we met before? And don't call me sir.

LtPC: No sir. I did have an autographed picture of you in my bedroom back on the farm in southern Iowa maybe 50 years ago.

STM: Don't remind me of how old I am.

LtPC: Sorry about that, sir. What are you doing here at the Millennium Hotel at this hour? Can I buy you a drink?

STM: Thanks, but I'm good. Autograph session for a Cardinals' fan club in town from Joplin. My ride had a little fender-bender across the street, and it's too freakin' hot to watch the cops write up the tickets. Stupid deal.

LtPC: You catch any of the games with the Twins? What'd ya think of that kid, Mauer?

STM: Too hot for an old man to go to the games. I listen to Shannon on the radio. Mauer seems like the real deal. He's got that compact swing, and he must have great eyes, because he never looks confused up there.

LtPC: And Pujols?

STM: No one better around these days. Great player.

LtPC: How 'bout the new Busch Stadium?

STM: It's a lot like the old Sportsman's Park where we played when I was on the team. The Busch Stadium that this new one replaced was a nightmare for most players. Like playing in a parking lot. Those lead-off guys who could run might have liked it, but baseball's supposed to be played on grass, for chrimeny sakes.

LtPC: Any pitchers out there that you like these days?

STM: Never did like pitchers.

LtPC: Managers?

STM: Ya know, LaRussa's not too bad. But it's the players who win and lose the games. The way it is today, it comes down to how much money a team spends on the roster. If you don't have some players, ya don't win.

LtPC: Drugs?

STM: In my day it was booze. Heck, if they breathalized the boys before games in the '50's, we might have had to call up some Triple A players to start the games. Never heard 'bout steroids. Did they even exist back then? There was no such thing as off-season training. Lots of guys had other jobs in the Winter to support their families.

LtPC: One thing I did notice over at the new stadium was the price of beer. Eight bucks! I'm not sure that's what they mean when they say, "This Bud's for you."

STM: When I came up in '41, you could get a glass of suds for a dime! In the minors in the late 30's, I made only $65 a month! That $10 glass of wine you're drinking is outta my league.

LtPC: Well, I do have a small wine problem, but I'm working on it. Lastly, I know you played ball against Jackie Robinson. That had to be quite an experience. Ever run into any problems with the race thing? Did you ever imagine that we'd have a Black President?

STM: Jackie was a good guy. Played hard. Got treated badly by some jerky fans every now and then. I'm glad baseball's got past that stuff. Politics? I don't pay much mind. Hope and change? Reminds me of the boys hitting against Feller. Hopin' for a change...up! Ya can't hit what ya can't see.

LtPC: I'm headed up to bed. Thanks for your time, Mr. Musial. It's been a real pleasure. G'night.

STM: My pleasure, sonny. And don't call me mister.

Well there you have it, boys and girls. Just like it could have happened.

The rain has stopped. I'm off to the hills for a short one. More tomorrow.

BCOT

No comments: