Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Wednesday

Craig Wilson is at it again.

I know that I live one of the most boring lives in the world. An accountant in Iowa. What I didn't know was that a hot shot columnist for a national newspaper needs to review my work for ideas to construct his weekly effort. Today, his column was devoted to his trials and tribulations as a result of his cleaning lady being gone for a month. To the Philippines to see her family.


www.usatoday.com/life/columnist/finalword/2008-03-11-final-word_N.htm

My Russian cleaning lady has been written about here several times in the last couple of years. Including episodic ruminations regarding her trips back to Russia. There needs to be an investigation.

Actually, what this really means is that 60 year old men, gay or straight, universally lead largely similar lives on a day-to-day basis. They are mostly still working. They deal with a body that aches and creaks. They can appreciate a good glass of wine, and an occasional meal at a restaurant that may be a little off the beaten track. They go to bed early. And they're glad when they check those obituaries to see no names that are too familiar.

March Madness is in full swing with the Big East Conference tournament at Madison Square Garden now under way. Lots of games tomorrow with the ACC, Big Ten and Big 12 tournaments kicking off. I know that I've said it before, but those years in the mid-to-late '80's when the then Big 8 tournament was always in KC, were some of my favorite years as a basketball fan. When Iowa State had good teams, Kemper Arena became Hilton South. And the Country Club Plaza area was as hot as it gets.

Our picks in the Clan contest will have to be entered a week from tomorrow (Thursday) morning. Is there a better time for a basketball fan?

Spitzer is gone. Ferraro had to leave the Clinton campaign. It's rough out there.

It is said by many pundits that baseball mirrors life. Today, the Yankees and the Devil Rays (who are they?) decided to brawl in a Spring training game! Can anyone say, "Democratic primaries"?

My pal Bill and I stopped for lunch yesterday at an old line neighborhood bar on a main drag in Moline. We were a little late, but there were only two other tables (out of say, maybe 12-15) occupied. In years past, it was hard to find an open spot. I'm wondering if the anti-smoking ordinance is having an effect? Then again, times change.

All for today. Have a good evening.

BCOT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I might have to call in late to work to get my picks in - 'sports' sites are now blocked at work. It's like they don't trust me...

My midterm is over, the cranky lady in the office is on vaca, the ADD director is in Geneva, I wore my spring jacket to work, and got a nice run in outside. Today is certainly better than yesterday!!