Sunday, March 30, 2008

Sunday

I've had a further disaster with my desktop at the office. My normal routine is to "log off" when I leave for the day, which means that the machine is never really "off". On Saturday morning when I came in, it was not only "off", it was D-E-A-D. Not even the hint of power. This after paying the IT guy for 2+ hours on Thursday to scrub off the virus. I'm guessing that I'll be working on my laptop through April 15th.

While I can plugthe laptop into the office network to get to the tax programs and the like, I've learned that the desktop's stuff doesn't just transfer over even if you are connected through the same access point. So the IT guy will have to come back and get the laptop's configuration up to speed. What a hassle! And I'll still have to get a new desktop (I presume).

I've also managed to contract a small cold, sore throat, body aches deal. Not sure from where. Or from whom. I need to feel better than I do now to successfully get through these tax files over the next couple of weeks. I'm working on my drug therapy.

Symptomatic of the little blip in my world today, I couldn't pick up a Verizon signal at SB's this AM, and had to come into the office to get on the Internet. The moon and stars must not have got the memo.

Fairly predictable NCAA tournament so far. If Texas isn't able to pull off the upset today, my run at the top of the clan pool will be over. Whatever.

I'll add more to this later.

BCOT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds to me like someone needs to play the glad game....i'm glad that it was 50 today. i'm glad i don't have kids at school tomorrow. i'm glad that i have a clean house (even if i had to do it myself) i'm glad i have a new pair of running shoes on their way....
that might be a route to look into dad. order something online. i always feel better knowing that i have a package on the way. each day it's exciting to go home and see if it's arrived yet. however, since getting online has caused such trouble for you, maybe you beter not.
just go to bed early. that always works.
love!

Anonymous said...

Martha said:

My sympathy on the computer troubles;
people of our generation are at a disadvantage since we haven't always had to deal with such advanced technology in every area of our lives.

Sunday NYTimes: great article on back page of Book section on compatibility and books, ad on page 27 of the Magazine that is a crossword (second one I've seen this week, must be a new technique to target a particular demographic) and a Wrigley Field article in the baseball special section.

Your piece on I 80 got me to thinking. We remember the construction during the 60s on the section close to Brooklyn. http://iowahighways.home.mchsi.com/highways/i-80.html

Also, started remembering about the replacement of gravel roads with what Daddy called "farm to market roads". When we first lived close to the farm in 1960, the road to Brooklyn was gravel. Hurray for concrete!