Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Tuesday

Short tonight.

I did make it to the Augie game last night. A blowout. The game was not that well attended, but parking was the worst of anytime I have been there. Obviously, there was something going on in the theater or elsewhere on campus because it was a mess. And a little chilly.

For the old farmers out there, USA Today had a story yesterday about Cow Power, an energy program in Vermont that is based on the methane gas generated by dairy cow manure processing systems. There were odor-free by-products used for fertilizer and animal bedding in addition to the gas. Given my close personal history with dairy cow manure, I was a little intrigued by the creative use of the stuff I used to shovel on a daily basis. On the other hand, my coffee crew had little interest in the story.

There was also a feature on the op-ed page by a minister whose spin on his craft was the merger of religion and fitness. I think that may be a bit of a reach, but he did point out that there is a huge percentage of the clergy that is overweight or obese. And he made some good observations about the relationship of good mental health with good physical health, and then took that a step further about good spiritual health. He was a marathoner too. Mostly, I think that he has done with his ministry what I have done with Criterium: put his profession and his avocation together.

Aren't the lucky ones those who don't see their jobs as work?

I'm headed home. Iowa - Northern Iowa in IC tonight. I'm inclined to take the Panthers. I had tentatively planned to be in IC for the Iowa - Iowa State game on Friday night. But that is not going to happen. But I may go to KC for the Chiefs' game on Sunday. It all depends on my pal Pete.

More tomorrow. Stay warm.

Be careful out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

really it feels like I just got done talking to you because I've been working on my video. weird, huh?