Monday, December 04, 2006

Monday PM

Well, another Monday with all the trimmings. Lots of phone calls. I need to be more productive.

Had lunch with my friend Bill down at the 11th Street Precinct in the Village of East Davenport. Those tenderloins and fries are hard to beat. Greasy, but good. One of the owners of the bar is the Mother of the guy who runs the bike shop in Bettendorf. Kind of another example of the smallness of the world.

My pal Roy went through the norovirus thing yesterday and today. Same symtoms and experience that I had that week before Thanksgiving. I've been taking serious grief for not shaking hands with people these last couple of weeks. I wonder what this episode may add to the behavior of our group? I might start carrying those clorox wipes with me!

I think that there was a story on the news wires today of another norovirus incident on a cruise ship with several hundred people getting sick. It's a nasty little bug.

For the business news readers out there, CNBC fired up a new on-line site today that might bear monitoring. www.cnbc.com. I normally use cbsmarketwatch.com and my broker site for news. But I like most of the CNBC reporters, so I'm going to give the new site a chance.

Interesting that the very successful Rutgers football coach quickly took his name from consideration for the U of Miami job. And he was an assistant at Miami before he went to Rutgers. And it had to be a lot of money on the table. What does that say about the situation at UM? My guess is that they will turn to a "name" who may currently be out of job. I'm not so sure that President Donna Shilala down there will last. Or the AD. I know that they fired Coker, but that may not go high enough. Look at at Colorado.

Also interesting that Bowlsby (formerly of IC) has also pulled the trigger on the football coach at Stanford. If the AD job changes, coaches with losing records need to spruce up the old resume. See also, Iowa State and McCarney (and Morgan and Douglas).

So I'm off to the erg machine and maybe the Augie game. Have a great evening.

Be careful out there.

No comments: