Saturday, December 16, 2006

Saturday

Pretty good entries. Memories are good things.

No big plans here today. Hope to get 2 to come with me on a run. Mild weather continues. 3 and4 are supposed to get in for their Christmas break.

Continuing the theme of religion and exercise from last week, there was an article in this AM's paper about a book entitled, "Hail Mary and Rhythmic Breathing", a merger of the rosary and yoga. I feel a combination of admiration and wonderment about the concept. Admiration that the guy can put a book together on some pretty diverse thoughts. Wonderment that, properly packaged and marketed, almost anything can sell.

Speaking of selling, another story in today's paper has model Cindy Crawford promoting her furniture designs in a company (that I've never heard of) called Rooms To Go. And the story claims that the line has had annual sales of over $100 million since it was launched in 2005. I don't get it.

Another little vignette on what has become my progression to old age. For complex reasons, I took a pass on SB's this morning and hit the somewhat new Mickey D's at Duck Creek in Bettendorf. I got a small coffee and the kid charges me 48 cents. I think nothing of it. I sit down and am reading the paper when a friend joins me and we proceed to chat a little, comparing the crowd and costs there to the SB's across the parking lot. My friend comments about the coffee costing only 98 cents compared to the $1.75 at SB's. When it comes out that I paid 48 cents, we both realized that the kid at the counter had automatically given me the senior price! I must officially be an old guy now.

My 8th Day of Christmas memory goes way back to my childhood. I was a big Lone Ranger/Roy Rogers fan and I always got a new twin-six shooter cap gun/belt setup. From Santa. Very cool. I must have been hooked on some outer space show at one point and I remember one year getting a battery operated ray gun that flashed and made a whirlling noise. It drove Martha nuts. And I remember going out into the forests and fields of the farm when I was probably 10 or 12 years old looking for a decent Christmas tree for the house. And I'm sure that I drug one in a year or two. But it's not like we had a lot of evergreen trees on the farm.

I'm off to do various domestic things. While trying to avoid the holiday traffic. Have a great day.

Be careful out there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am hoping to have a very undomestic day and avoid running. Not sure if dad will let me succeed.

My memory is the little trees mom use to let us put in our rooms at the hold house. The tree with the red birds rocked!

Anonymous said...

didn't i get a desk for christmas one year? i seem to remember coming downstairs in the old house and there being a desk sitting in the middle of the room. it had been at the office or something? someone correct me if i'm wrong...

Anonymous said...

I mean, this Christmas memory is wireless Internet at the house :)

Anonymous said...

...repeatedly asking for dolls with real digestive capabilities. Really? why would anyone ever request the opportunity to change a diaper? The late eighties were crazy times...