Thursday, November 16, 2006

Thursday

I don't think that I have a lot to add tonight, and I'm getting started a little late. Another scheduled run with 2.

The TT is now less than a week away. We have tentatively scheduled our training runs through next Tuesday. The one thing that registered with me last night was the importance of diet. My meals the prior 36 hours had been very disconnected. Few carbs and lots of grease. I had met a friend in C-town for dinner and we chowed down on spicey chicken wings and Coors Light. Tuscan red will have it's limits tomorrow. Same for any Wednesday evening socializing.

Lots of press on the Ohio State-Michigan game. Can't say that I care much. ND is in a bad spot. They could win out and not get to the championship game. If Ohio State wins big, a rematch of Ohio State-Michigan would be unlikely. The one loss teams all have hills to climb. Actually, you have two possible other no-loss teams that are out there, Rutgers and Boise State. The moon and the stars would have to be lined up perfectly for ND to be the choice for the championship. And if Michigan wins decisively Saturday, the Irish will be outside looking in regardless.

1's comments on her page about Christmas should be disregarded. My guess is that school and life in IC have her at a lower point on her life-outlook scale. Her birthday and the Christmas Eve overlap form our family's signature day of the year. And that marathon gift unwrapping session on Christmas morning/afternoon is a wonderful time. It may not be about the presents, but presents are good.

A favorite comment among the adult "boys" whom I associate with is that the golf trip is not about golf. Or the ski trip is not about skiing. Or the Cub's game is not about the Cub's. Etc., etc., etc. The meaningfulness of each of those events, regardless of the activity or the destination, is the enduring friendships. And, of course, the stories. And at our ages, we repeat those stories frequently. And we might even embellish them over the years.

So Christmas is not about the gifts. But gifts lead to good memories. And good stories.

I'm off to the races, so to speak.

Be careful out there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

First of all, I'm 4. And second, I don't want presents I don't want.