Sunday, November 18, 2012

Sunday

Looks like a super day ahead of us here in Iowa. Global warming, for sure.

Let me get this off my chest at the start: Given the results of the recent election, I've decided to take the advice of many of the op-ed writers and become, 1) pro-choice, 2) pro-open borders, 3) pro-Bigger Government, and 4) not support any proposal to change Social Security as we know it.

Well, not really.

The Irish are perfectly set up to fail in LA next weekend. Call me a fatalist.

@srh4 and I were over on Highland Avenue yesterday to help with the annual (should be semi-annual!) cleaning of the gutters. 2's house is perfectly situated on a street with mature trees that generate lots of leaves and helicopters. In days of old, my Fall weekends on Scott Street were filled with similar tasks. My Top Ten list of dreaded duties from that era:

1. Leaves. Martian eggs!
2. Storm windows. An awful job...and HARD work! Especially those big/tall double ones on the first floor.
3. Tuck-pointing the chimney. Heights not a favorite place for LtPC.
4. Touch-up painting the outside wood trim.
5. Anything plumbing. And all the facets leaked!
6. Caulking the windows and doors. Especially the upper ones. See 3 above.
7. Fixing broken window panes. No skills at all.
8. Water in the basement when it rained.
9. Maintenance of the decorative, slatted-wood trim over the front door, kitchen nook and sun room. Not sure if I ever got it all done.
10. Anything electrical. It was an old house, and had never been re-wired. There was a science to the fuse circuits.

Now don't get me wrong: it was a great house and has wonderful memories. But property maintenance was never my strong suit. I gave it my best shot. I just wasn't very good at it.

I've got a few more thoughts to add today, but I need to get going for now. It looks like there may be golf in my immediate future with my pal Ron.

More later, fo' sure.

Have a great day.

Now later...
So my pal Ron and I made it through a full 18-hole round at Geneva in less than two and a half hours.  I'd say it was a little below 50 when we started, and probably 55 or so when we finished around 1:30.  I was a bit surprised that there were only a couple of other groups on the course while we played.  It would have been very comfortable if the sun had shone consistently.  Ron is an absolute golf addict.  I was along for the ride.  That extra $7 that I relieved him of on the 18th hole was just a bonus!

Hat tip to the 'Clones for the win last night in Lawrence.  At least they will get to a bowl now.

Back to my comments on the Scott Street house.   I owned a pick-up truck most, if not all, of those years, and it was a very handy piece of equipment.  (I think that I had a Lincoln road car for a couple of years, but returned to the truck when the car's benefits just didn't pan out.)  Lots of transporting of leaves, lumber, "stuff", and kids.  (I'm going to find a pic of the red, extended-cab Ford to add here at a later time.  This one is just an example.  I loved that truck...just not when I had to fill it's two tanks up with petro!)

Now getting set for a training run with 2 and The W.  Thanks for reading.

BCOT

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: