Tuesday, November 08, 2011

Tuesday II

I had planned to head out for another training run this evening, but the rain convinced me otherwise.  Tomorrow is another day.

So the two names dominating the news today, Joe Paterno and Herman Cain, both look to be fighting a tidal wave of substantial negative press.  Mostly on stuff from a decade or more ago.  Did Jo Pa do enough?  Did Herman do too much?  Joe Pa seems to have some support among the student body, judging by the display on his front yard this evening.  But the broader-based community may not be so forgiving.  Not doing more earlier may force him to fall on his sword now as the most powerful statement that he can make on his commitment to the University.  Its not the act.  Its the cover-up.  How many has that oversight caught?

Cain's situation is different in that he has a lower general stature, his sins are less clear, and the vertical media has been seriously digging for dirt for several weeks to discredit his bona fides.  It is a bit interesting to a disinterested observer the fervor with with media vet the backgrounds of certain candidates while giving certain others a pass.  (It also suggests that Mrs. Palin truly has nothing to hide.  References to her by the legacy press and the Left ( pardon the redundancy) now must simply belittle her competence as their efforts to find the damning character evidence under the rocks proved fruitless.)  I didn't ever think that Cain was going to get the nomination, and this just gets that conclusion done a little earlier.

I'll post my Turkey Trot fundraiser flyer here in the morning.  3 did the design for me, but I couldn't figure out how to get it attached just now.  She gave me a PDF file and Blogger wants a JPEG picture.  And I couldn't transfer an image of the PDF file because the instructions on the flyer need a better clarity than I can pull up from a digital pic.  Technology is great if it works.

I guess that I should acknowledge here the passing of Smokin' Joe Frazier.  I have never been much of a boxing fan, and have never been to a live fight.  But it was hard not to notice the Ali - Frazier fights in the early and mid -70's.  I vaguely remember their first match in 1971, getting updates over the radio that night at ND.  Ali had been out of the ring for his war-objector status, and the fight was a huge deal in the sporting world.  If you had a Jeopardy question on who won that first fight, I would have got it wrong.  Frazier won at MSG.  Ali won the 1974 rematch, and their third and final fight, the 1975 "Thrilla in Manila."

I'll update this in the AM with the flyer.

BCOT

No comments: