Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sunday

You're going to have to give me a little literary space on this one.

So at spin class this morning, I'm pounding along trying to figure out some mental diversion from the monotony of the spin Nazi's rant.  I drifted over to some marginal analyses of age and various activities, envisioning your standard x and y axes and the various curves that might best describe the relationships. 

Actually, it got a little confusing when I was trying to keep straight whether x was the horizontal axis or the vertical axis and which axis worked best for which variable.  I had this idea that I could superimpose on a single graph several different curves that could be viewed from 10,000 feet and some fundamental truth about my life would crystallize.  The idea never got past the foggy stage.

I did though have one thought that stuck.  My life has been and continues to be, in a very satisfying and interesting way, a series of visits to a park bench (or an equivalent spot from which to watch the world go by).  This is one of those things that, when you can identify recurrence over 30 years or so, is pretty good evidence of truth.  Obviously, the start of this thing began at Adventureland, but I think that I have perfected the park bench to an art form.

Let's review the evidence, not necessarily in order of precedence:

1.  Football at Kinnick Stadium:  I'm the guy staying in the parking lot with the Saturday NYT puzzle.
2.  FFF at major city hotel:  I'm the guy in the lobby on the laptop.
3.  Tahoe Phil's boat at Tahoe: Lots of time on the front of the boat reading a book.
4.  Wrigley Field: Why go into the game when we can hang at the Cubby Bear?
5.  Starbuck's Anywhere, USA: Why wouldn't we hang at SB's?
6.  The driveway on Maplecrest:  people come for the wine and conversation.
7.  Table 101 in the bar area at Davenport Biaggi's: Why wouldn't we?

I'm sure that there are other examples, but you can see where I'm headed.  I have skills in this area.  That said, I'm not sure that it adds a lot to the resume.

The Trot is getting closer.  The count now also includes Tahoe Phil and Jan,  may pal Ron and Jane, and RevKev and Erica, as well as cousin Carrie and David.  So we're at 8 of 30.

Hope everyone has a good week.

BCOT

No comments: