Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday

I'm really looking forward to getting rid of February.  For the shortest month, it sure was a long one this year.

We enjoyed an all-too-brief of a visit from 3 this weekend.  She and Herky were through town on their way to a family event for Herky in IC.  We did have a small fff lunch yesterday at The 11th Street Precinct, supping on the unbreaded tenderloin.  This pic was the only decent one out of the four that I snapped on the mini-digi right after we ate.  I'm guessing that this makes 2 and 3 Daughters of the Day!

I discovered too late that the camera had been set on "Night Portrait" and I could tell that that setting was not giving me clear pics in the inside environment.  Sometimes too much technology is too much technology.

As noted from the earlier posting, the 24 car had a good day in PHX.  I've got to admit, my own enthusiasm for the sport had waned over the last couple of years when Gordon wasn't consistently competitive and Jimmy was doing all of the winnin'.  Aunt Martha will need to give us a report from Trackside Live! next weekend when the haulers take the cars to Vegas.

(4 has offered that NASCAR is in Kansas City June 3rd-5th.  Interesting idea...)

Very odd goings-on with my laptop Verizon connection.  It's been cutting out a little too regularly...like just now.  Then again, there have been storms recently, and like cell phones, weather impacts signal clarity.

Another item of good news; the Augie basketball team won their conference tournament Saturday in suburban C-town.  After taking care of business in the semis on Friday, they had an unexpectedly easy win in the championship game over the team (Illinois Wesleyan) that had beat them earlier in the week in their last regular season game.  The D-III tournament seedings are announced tomorrow at noon.  Look for Augie to be a one or two seed and host a four-team sub-regional this coming weekend.

Public confession: spin class has become a burden.  I spent most of today's class trying to compute the number of classes I'd be going to before my fitness routine shifts to the outdoors.  Realistically, it's hard to plan on many late-March days being warm and dry enough for after-work rides.  Maybe a couple of days.  If I'm doing five classes a week, the Over/Under on remaining beatings by Spin Nazi's is 30 classes.  I think I'll be optimistic (trying to set a good example to the peanut gallery) and take the Under. For a bottle of top-shelf J Lohr.

I admit to having below-zero interest in the Oscars.  This year or any other year.  I don't go to movies.  I don't read trash magazines.  I don't have any interest in the gossip pages.  I'll throw a big generalization blanket over Hollywood and characterize the lot as an overly self-absorbed, materially dependent, shallow club of excess.  Other than that, I think they're great.

Busy week ahead.  In NASCAR terms, I've had at least one of my eight cylinders not firing exactly right for the last couple of weeks.  A juggling act that is consistently missing one ball in the air.  My goal starting tomorrow is to get that mental acuity back on track.  Just like the 24.

Thanks for reading.

BCOT

2 comments:

Kristen Charles said...

Coincidentally, the Twins play AT KC that weekend. June 3-5 ounds like a dream FFF weekend, if you ask me.

1 said...

I wish I was going to be done with school already! I do have one personal day this year....