Sunday, February 20, 2011

Sunday...UPDATED

Well, Winter has returned to my world.  It started snowing when I was in Gold's this morning and has been coming down here in the TC like a blizzard all day long.  If 2 and I get back to our hotel tonight, I'll be surprised.  I mean, the drifts in 1's little cul du sac are already enough to keep us inside.  Not sure how far South the snow extends.  Nice that our departure wasn't scheduled until tomorrow.

So the Daytona 500 ended, finally, after lots or crashes and restarts with the winner being the youngest driver in the field, with one of the oldest teams.  Many of the favorites got caught up in early accidents, and I switched away from watching most of the last 2/3's of the race.  Caught the final few laps.  Good day for NASCAR.  This new kid can run with the big dogs.  With Daytona out of the way, regular racin' can start next week.

I wasn't the most attentive grandfather yesterday afternoon to 1.01. I had to get my entry in by 1700 to the writing contest that I have entered the last three years.  The prompt was issued on Friday afternoon at 1700 and there was a 24 hour time limit.  (No time to write on Friday night in DSM, but 2 took some notes for me on the morning drive to MSP.)  This year's prompt was, "Probably 40% of his life...gone.  Wasted on a project that could never be duplicated".  I used the interview format from the blog and had Bob Costas talk on his radio show with a former major league second baseman who had written a book about his loss of the ability to make the throw to first base.  We'll see if the judges have any room for sports in their hearts.

Amazon delivered the goods and 4 received the three travel books that I had ordered and direct-shipped to her.  Why would a person buy these things in a store for face price?

As the girls can attest, I'm no Tim McGraw fan.  (Don't Take The Girl could be the worst country song evah!)  But I kind of like his recent single, It Felt Good on My Lips.  Harmless lyrics, and a good beat.  I'm wondering if they reduced the loudness of his voice on the cut, because it almost sounds like they've purposefully tried to ratchet him down a couple notches on this one.  Check it out.

Another song that I have liked recently is the collaboration that brought Alan Jackson on to a song with the Zac Brown Band,  As She's Walking Away.  Kind of like the Five O'Clock Somewhere song he did with Jimmy Buffet a few years back.

More Later.  1.1 has dinner ready for the stranded crew.

UPDATED....

Shockingly, 2 and I made it back to the hotel.  1.1 had done some reconnoitering outside after dinner and had talked to some other folks who reported that the main streets weren't too bad.  He had shoveled the snow from around the Buick, and I was able to get to the street, and then to the arterial to our hotel.  Over a foot of new snow!  Lots of plowing needed over night.

Hope we can get home tomorrow!


BCOT

No comments: