Thursday, September 16, 2010

Thursday

Thursday nights really do feel like the start of the weekend.  Especially with the local high school football game at Brady Stadium and the played-for-TV games on ESPN.

My RCL came through yesterday for her first cleaning after the replacement of my kitchen vinyl and the basement carpet.  I'm thinking that the upgrades actually make her job easier, particularly the kitchen where the old stuff was just impossible to make clean.  And I raised her fee almost 10%.  Where does that compute?

I received a letter this week from my ND graduating class president as the first volley across the bow for our 40th reunion to be held on campus next June.  The letter was co-signed by some guy (whose name I have not previously heard of) who is the designated Class of 1971 Gift Chairman.  So the letter was basically a money grab for the class "to unite and collectively give a substantial gift to the University".  The likelihood of me making the reunion is South of zero.

I'm seriously considering responding to this letter with a suggestion that they come up with a different idea for the "Reluctant Domers" in the class who still retch at the recollection of Father Jenkins inviting, then welcoming and embracing the Big O as the speaker at last year's commencement.  (I continue to write occasionally to Father Jenkins reminding him of his deceit.  I've never received a reply.  Shock.)

So what's the view from the peanut gallery on Derek Jeter's act last night on his non-hit-by-pitch performance?  I'm ok with it.  In contrast to golf, baseball is a lot like NASCAR and the NFL; if you can get away with it, it's ok. But the make-up can be painful.  They do play Tampa Bay again.  Look for him to get plunked in the ribs with a heater.  Kind of like NASCAR.  It may not be the next race or game.  Maybe not even this year.  But these things are not forgotten.

Now headed out for a training run with 2 and The Winniferous (I think).  The TT is now officially on the training schedule.

Hey 3!  What's new in The Big Apple?

BCOT

3 comments:

1 said...

I wanted to comment on last nights blog and didn't have time. somehow this fall is busier than when i went back to work last spring. i went to the gym after 1.01 went to bed at 7, and while i understand that isn't late for some readers, that's a late workout for me!! i'm probably going to have to do that a few times a week so i can get my lifting in, and then some running when it gets too cold for the bob. my eyes are heavy as i write this even now! it's been early mornings around here and long busy days. i have 1st hour prep at work, so once i start teaching i don't get a break all day. i'm wiped at the end & it's work to get myself psyched up for a run. daycare is going well, 1.01 seems to be happy & the routine is good for her. last week was chaotic with lara having the babies and open house at school. the evenings were busy. we've also switched to a 6 period day instead of 4, so it's more students and grading and names...you get the idea. my brain is tired. but i did want to comment on the 'greeters'.....
i consider myself a greeter, at least when i'm running. i either do the head nod, the one hand wave, or say hi or good morning. most people respond when i initiate the greeting. however, there is one guy who acts like i don't exist. i see this guy fairly regularly on my 4 mile loop. we often see each other twice as we are running the loop in opposite directions. i always wave and say hi. he stares at me and doesn't acknowledge me. awkward!! i've thought of all the reasons why he would ignore me. i wear sunglasses, so maybe he couldn't tell if i was looking at him. so i waved. still nothing. i thought maybe he couldn't tell if i was waving or if it was my natural arm movement while running. so i said hi. still nothing. i started to think this was slightly creepy. the dude is probably 45-50 and i've also seen him running with a young girl riding her bike. but i got to thinking maybe he's a psychopath and he's got it out for me. why else wouldn't he return my greeting? i'm glad that i'm running along busy streets and in daylight. i would have serious suspicions if i ran in a wooded area. like i wouldn't run there anymore.
also, what about people you see multiple times on your run/walk. this happens to me when i run loops, and especially during marathon season when lots of people are out for long runs. of course you greet with a wave and 'morning' the first time, but what is the etiquette for the second sighting? i usually go with a smile and wave but no hello.
i find that most runners are pretty friendly and at least respond to my wave.
last story. i was out for a run with the bob one day over the summer and i was coming up on a gal that i passed fairly frequently. i think she was walking to or from work. we always said hello, but this time she waved her arms to flag me down. i stopped and she demanded that i tell her how to get in shape like i was. so there we were on the side of a busy four land street, me with the bob and her with her satchel doing lunges and squats and fake arm exercises. i was praying no one i knew would drive by, but she seemed thrilled about the whole operation.
i'm going to nuke some leftovers and watch the twins. can we sweep?

Anonymous said...

Martha said:

USAToday had this on ND football today:

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/sports/20100916/lopo16_st.1.art.htm

3 said...

I'll pull together a blog tomorrow.