Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Tuesday

AM is right about the bikers who ignore traffic signals and signs. I think those guys do more harm than anyone when it comes to biker/driver relationships. Sometimes it's even the experienced road cyclist who makes the choice to blast through a red light when he sees no cross traffic to worry about. And these are the same guys who complain about cars buzzing them on a country road. No excuses.

Busy day today. A couple of new deals, and lots of phone calls. The hours jumped by.

My pal Pete and I hit the road early today for the 16 mile DCC route. Incredible how the day is shrinking. We were starting at 0520 seven weeks ago, and now anything before 0600 is not advised. At least my conditioning is coming back a little. I wasn't entirely dusted on the medium inclines this morning. In another week, I'll be back to OK.

A new development in business that I am experiencing is the use of the executive's mobile phone for daily business purposes. (Which shouldn't even be worth all that much commentary since every exec whom I know has been writing off cell phone expenses for tax purposes forever.) I routinely give my cell number to clients, and it gets used some by a few customers, a little by most, but quite a bit by a small handful. Not really a problem, although there is some regularity of me being on the cell phone when a call comes in on the land-line (or vice-versa), and maybe a client is down in the waiting room.

I have learned that the cell phone is also now the access portal for advisers, associates and other anointed ones for the busy physician. Almost no one of importance goes through what might otherwise be considered the old normal channel of the office receptionist. Pity the poor pharmaceutical sales guy with no "in". A permanent outcast.

What's the deal with Brooks & Dunn? Enough money, I suppose. The one article I saw said Ronnie Dunn was going solo. Makes sense. Kix Brooks never added much to the act. I think that it's fair to say that "Neon Moon" has been background to some serious parties. I remember a couple. And there was a lot of Boot Scootin' Boogie-in' done at the street dances on RAGBRAI.

I've never been a big Rick Patino fan. I always thought that he could coach, but he always left me with the impression that he thought he was ahead of the curve, above the fray, better than the fans, other coaches and his bosses. It was false humility to me. All that said, he's now in an ugly spot of bother. He's made the choices, but...

On the bright side, the neighbor's garden is coming in and I have fresh cucumbers, tomatoes, banana peppers and green beans. Life is good. (Did I previously report that I've contracted out my 2010 garden to the neighbor?)

Have a great Wednesday.

BCOT

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

To the best of my knowledge there have been no biking incidents on Mt. Rose this summer. As Lt. PC can attest it is a road that rquires working together to be safe.

Tahoe Phil

camperkev said...

a physician friend of mine is now giving free medical advice to people in his friendlist in Facebook. I'm a little amazed at what people are posting re: their personal medical issues.